Halong Bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast
November 29th 2013
Published: November 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Have just spent the last three days in Halong Bay. Weather was very overcast and it rained on the 2nd day - but that didn't bother us. This bay is a UNESCO world heritage site. 2000 limestone islands that rise steeply out of the sea. Very picturesque. We were on a boat with about 20 other people - met people from all over the world and had fun with them singing karaoke and sharing meals.

We were taken into some pretty awesome caves - Surprise Cave - set of three caves that got increasingly bigger - very beautiful but the crowds of people spoilt it a bit. Later that day we climbed to the top of one of the islands (took about 20 min). Then came back down for a swim - water was great.

Next day John and I were the only ones from out boat staying on for an extra day so we got taken by smaller boat to more outlying areas. Here we did lots of kayaking through 'hole in the rock' type situations, and around the little islands. Out guide took us to some less popular caves - Light cave (were you could see your way through) and Dark cave (which was obviously darker). All very nice and reminded me alot of my caving experiences earlier in my life.

The food on the trip was wonderful - all really fresh - lots of seafood - fish, prawns, squid - my favourite was the squid cakes, they were so tender.

Apologies for not been able to put up any photos yet, the computer we are using seems to have some security settings on it that won't let us into the file.

Today we are heading to Hue, further down the coast - so hope the weather will improve a bit. It is starting to get a bit cooler here in Hanoi - probably only 18-20 degrees at the moment'

Last night we wandered around the streets of Hanoi and sat down (like all the locals do) on a street corner and ordered a Hanoi beer - this is beer that is only just brewed that day - but it was very nice - like a light lager. Whilst sitting there John noticed an Irish pub across the way and we could see that there was a game of rugby being played on a big screen inside - so yes, joy of joys for John he got to watch the All Black vs Ireland game.

Went onto the Little Hanoi restaurant for dinner and then back to the corner for another beer and to catch up with a few other tourists doing the same - very enjoyable night.

We have been given the best room in the hotel for this one night - it is much bigger than the one from the other day. We are on the 7th floor and can see over to the Lake and over the old quarter area. Very comfortable hotel and very central to everything - so would recommend this to everyone.

Anyway, so far so good with our travels - we are having a wonderful time. This place is so interesting, completely different to our way of life, but we are loving it.

Cheers,

M and J


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



2nd December 2013

Hi from The Lints's
Loving the blogs and Wayne and I have just checked the pics out - wow that poor woman with all that on her shoulders maybe we hav it easy Moira! Don\\\\\\\'t tell the boys I said that. Wayne loves the wiring pics and says its just like China. Missing u guys but love reading the blogs and seeing the pics. Still no toilet stories John - u r slacking! Take care missing u both xxxx

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb