Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast
November 24th 2013
Published: November 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone.

Had long uncomfortable trip up here, but all worthwhile. Hanoi is a fascinating city. There are 6million people and about the same number of motorbikes. Its on the go all the time. We are in the old quarter of the City near Lake Hoan Kiem. Spent the first day wandering around this area and went to a Water Puppet Theatre show. They have shops for everything here with particular things all in one area, eg around the hotel is all the shoe shops, another area will be all clothes, and even Christmas decorations.

People are all very friendly, and the Hotel people are particularly helpful. Climate is not too hot but quite humid.

We have eaten at local restaurants trying out the Vietnamese dishes - all have been really nice. I don't think we have paid more than $20 for a meal and that has included a bottle of beer each. We have taken a liking to the Bai Hanoi which is the local brew.

Today we visited the Ho Chi Minh Mosuleum where HCM lies in state - very guarded and very sacred place for the local people. We then wandered around the grounds of his estate and visited his house on sticks - a very modest dwelling that encapsulates his doctrine of wealth not being everything, but rather that people should strive for the good of the country.

We then walked to the Temple of Literature which was founded in 1076 and was the place people went to for their exams. Today there were graduation ceremonies and festivities taking place, making it a very lively and colourful experience.

Next we visited the "Hanoi Hilton" or the Hao Lo Prison which was built by the French and then later used during the Vietnam War to imprison the American pilots that were captured. Very spooky place.

Finally we have been on a Cyclo tour of the city - this is like a tri-shaw. Rather hectic weaving through all the traffic. Totally amazed how no one bumps into each other and no one curses or swears at each other like kiwis would. So had our fair share of CO2 intake for the day - but was fun and we survived.

Off now to have dinner at the Bia Hoi Ha Noi.

Tomorrow off to Ninh Binh - tour out of the city - so looking forward to it being a bit quieter.

Having problems downloading the photos but will try to get that sorted later.

Tam biet (goodbye) M and J.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



26th November 2013

Texted Al yesterday to c if he had heard from u as I was checking blog and there was nothing he said u were in Hanoi and loved it so really glad to read your blog - sounds awesome and hope u fitted some shoes in yr bag Moira!

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb