Encountering Cambodia and Vietnam - Ha Long Bay, Wednesday 2016 March 9


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
March 9th 2016
Published: July 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Ocean PearlOcean PearlOcean Pearl

Seems like and exotic home
I woke to the dulcet tones of distant diesel engines on other boats and the scrapes of hard chairs on the hardwood floor above my head.

I braved the shower, which was the entire bathroom. The water only came out in a trickle, so only the toilet lid and the floor got wet. On Elizabeth’s advice, I threw a towel on the tile floor to avoid slipping. The water was hot enough, varying from warm to cold but not startlingly so. After going up onto the deck, I rushed down again for my camera. The sun was shining! Or at least, it was bright amongst the clouds and threw lovely shadows across the water from the mountains. In fact, when we glimpsed the actual sun, it seemed to have a bite out of it. A solar eclipse? One more thing to Google at home. (Indeed, it was an eclipse, and we were looking with unprotected eyes!)

For breakfast I delighted Thuy by having two (small) bowls of chicken soup with glass noodles. Better nutrition than eating a delicious Vietnamese baguette with jam and much easier to digest. Thuy insisted I was Vietnamese in another life! The others ordered scrambled eggs, of course made from the freshest eggs, with deep yellow yolks.

At 8:30 we got into the tender to motor to the dock with the kayaks. This time we got into a small, flat-bottom boat to be paddled into a grotto. Passing in through a low hole, the boat brought us into an almost perfectly round formation defined by high sandstone, tree-covered cliffs. When we were silent, birdsong rang out; some people saw birds and nests, but I did not. The cliffs were all undercut but by wave action, leaving sculptural rock hanging over the water.

Thankfully, that was not the whole of our tour. The tender took us over to the wonderful Sung Sot Cave system that had been curated into a tourist attraction with stone walkways and coloured spot lights that highlighted certain formations of stalactites. I felt filled with the awe of nature as we walked high into the cave and marvelled at the magnificent of the great hollows.

At the end of our cave visit, Thuy bargained with a fisherwoman for odd (to us) shrimps about six inches long with almost prehistoric heads and claws. They wiggled and jumped madly in the
Another world!Another world!Another world!

Sung Sot Cave
sieve basket, which floated on the water to keep the fish alive, thus fresh. These same shrimp appeared cooked as our first course at lunch. Sweet and rich!
">View the video of buying from boats.

Shortly after lunch we got into the tender for a short distance to another cave system. Much less developed, it had about a hundred rough stone steps into a small system dramatically lit in an orange glow, revealing what water can do to rock.

After another interlude on the cruise boat, we again got into the tender, this time to see a floating fishing village and pearl farm. Given the number of tourists at the floating dock, I think the villagers probably make more from tourism than fishing. Thuy informed us that the government had given them permanent houses on the mainland, where they do live. Since they want to keep their fishing businesses, they manage their time between the two places. Thirty-two families work in the fishing village, and we presumed the people who rowed the small boats were villagers. Groups of four to six of us got into small flat-bottomed boats; Ming joined our boat and took over the rowing from a standing position. She was really
Tour boats Tour boats Tour boats

Village visit in traditional transportation
strong! After a time, she surrendered one oar to the boat woman, and they rowed together the rest of the way in a sitting position.

The fishing houses were in groups of five to six, roped together and roped to the rock of nearby islands. Rectangular like a child’s drawing, they looked fairly new, painted in bright yellow, blue or green. When we got close we could see that they had porches where fishing and household items were stored, and they floated on empty drums. We were rowed past them towards an arch in the rock; as we got closer we could see the water action eating away at the rock, not in a spectacular fashion but in an insidious one. At one spot the slight surf penetrated deep into the rock through a crack. One day in a thousand years, the weakening will cause the base to fail, bringing down the arch.

Now we are back on the cruise boat, actually relaxing, anticipating happy hour. We are quietly moving through the thousands of islands. In the late afternoon mist and the clouds the mountain islands faded into shades of lighter and lighter blue until they disappeared.
Spring Roll lessonSpring Roll lessonSpring Roll lesson

Why I leave this to experts!

Evidently, the captain received permission for our second night (only one over-night permit is issued at a time), and he has pulled up the anchor with a loud rattle that sounded under the length of the boat.

During happy hour, the chef came out to teach us how to make spring rolls. He had a large tin pan with piles of sticky rice, glass noodles, shredded carrot, finely chopped mushroom, and shredded jicama. To this he added an egg and mixed it all together with his (gloved) hands. Rice paper was moistened by placing it on a damp towel. He took a small fistful of the mixture and neatly placed it near one edge of the rice paper, made one fold to contain it, rolled it over, folded the sides in and creased them and rolled it up firmly. After we had each clumsily tried, proficient Janetta helped him make enough rolls for all of us. In half the batch, a shrimp was added to each roll. He then twice-fried them in a small frying pan. They were delicious!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Ha Long BayHa Long Bay
Ha Long Bay

Through the magic hole...
Ha Long BayHa Long Bay
Ha Long Bay

Inside the hole created by wave action
Rock and plant formationsRock and plant formations
Rock and plant formations

Ha Long Bay
Exotic rocks, plants and water reflectionsExotic rocks, plants and water reflections
Exotic rocks, plants and water reflections

Ha Long Bay
Ha Long BayHa Long Bay
Ha Long Bay

Never tired of rocks and water accented by foliage
Sung Sot Cave pierSung Sot Cave pier
Sung Sot Cave pier
Sung Sot CaveSung Sot Cave
Sung Sot Cave

Stone draped in light
Design carved by waterDesign carved by water
Design carved by water

Sung Sot Cave
Deep into Sung Sot CaveDeep into Sung Sot Cave
Deep into Sung Sot Cave
Rock suspended Rock suspended
Rock suspended

Sung Sot Cave
Shrimp for lunch!Shrimp for lunch!
Shrimp for lunch!

Would sit nicely in your palm, when not wriggling!
Ha Long Bay in a blue moodHa Long Bay in a blue mood
Ha Long Bay in a blue mood
Gorgeous lighting on dramatic rock formationGorgeous lighting on dramatic rock formation
Gorgeous lighting on dramatic rock formation

Ha Long Bay cave
Fish a carrot netFish a carrot net
Fish a carrot net

Theoretically, I know how to make this.
Mystical Ha Long Bay Mystical Ha Long Bay
Mystical Ha Long Bay


31st July 2017

The awe of nature
Well stated....and that is something we seek in our travels. Hate those showers that don't have any power but they are rampant in SE Asia. We always love the cooking lessons.
31st July 2017

The awe of nature
Thanks. Ha Long Bay gives an inspirational experience of nature.
31st July 2017

Theoretical knowledge
In theory I know that shrimp are crustaceans, but they trigger my insect reaction when I see them alive. Wiki tells me that some crustaceans are more closely related to insects than to other crustacean, and that's a thought I don't want to explore. But fresh seafood is a wonderful thing, even if it does wriggle. (Your picture of the carrot net made me laugh.)
2nd August 2017

Theoretical knowledge
My theoretically knowledge extends to many fields. Recently I found the certificate that attests to my knowing how to windsurf.

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb