March 1st and 2nd


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
March 2nd 2009
Published: March 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Heyya!
WOW! Although it was raining slightly, Halong Bay was still one of the most beautiful things to see!
Oh and to add to things on the happy list, you can see that i have figured out how to put up pictures, so i will be putting the rest up ASAP... More like when i get to Hoian in a few days =)
So let me paint you a picture of my last 2 days!
Yesterday morning we got up early at 7am and said farewell to Sarah, Ollie, Helen and John and i was rather sad because they have kinda taken me under their wing the last few weeks! But with their leaving we have had 6 others join I will tell you more of them as i get to know them.
At 8:30am we left on a 3 hour bus ride to Halong Bay. Now now... although it was only a Sunday morning, the traffic was horrfic!!! Ahh I have never seen anything like it. People drive where ever they please and it doesnt even seem to matter at times if you are on the right or left side of the road although it is clearly laid out! It is entertaining to say the least.
Sight of the drive... now here you see EVERYTING on the back of moter bikes from flowers that people are selling to huge TV's or Paintings, and when i say on the back, i dont mean in a seperate cart, it is literally on the little tiny extra seat ment for another person, however on the highway as i was listing to some tunes, i look out the window and see a LIVE FULLY GROWEN COW tied on the back of a moterbike! No joke! I have a pictuer and i will show you this when i can get it up here. But i suppose he just needed to transport the poor thing and just didnt have the truck or or ther means of transportation.

Anywaysss! WE arrived at Halong Bay around noon and jumped on the boat and have a FEAST, not just a meal, but a FEAST of seafood....Crab, fish, prawns, chips and oh my goodenss was it ever fresh and amazing! Then after eating some of us got in kyacks and went exploring with our guide thorough some caves and tunnels...I was with the guide in my kyack and he was convinced that because i loved it so much, that i should stay with him and i could be his boat lady... whatever that ment =P But as you know me, i thought that taking my camera with me on that venture could turn out rather bad so i do not have pictures of that... however if someone else will give me their card i can show you! The water is green green green, and there are over 1000 little islands within the bay.

Our boat as well, i have to say was VERY nice! I felt rather princess like with the little cabbin below deck that we got and the nice smelling sheats =)

So after the 2 hours of paddling around, and getting massive biceppts as us girls have dicided, we got back on the boat for yet ANOTHER FEAST!!! and yepp you guessed it, SEAFOOD =D I was in heaven! After a beer we all went to bed.

Oh yeah and we went into some amazing caves today that were over 200 thousand years old and i have pictures of them too... and HAHAA OH MY GOD do i ever have a photo to show you of one of the formations =P

Then this morning we got up, went for a hike up 423 stairs to the top of one of the islands and saw one of the most beautiful views of the whole bay and then went for a dip in the salty salty water =D

And unfortunatly that is where that adventure ended and we came back to the city.

Then this afternoon i went and saw the Hanoi Hilton, otherwise knowen as the Hoa Lo Prision. Dad I am glad you told me to go see this...so for those of you who do not know what it is I shall tell you.

Towards the 19th centure, in effort to contain the anti-colonial movements amongst the Vietnamese, the French goverment of Indochina constructed an extensive network of prisions. There were many, however this one was the biggest. It was built in/on what use to be the former craft village here and was the place where thousands of patriots and revolutionary fighters were kept, tortured; both by the looks of it, physically and spirtually... Some where in the "cells" for many many years anywhere from 1954 when it was built to 1973 when they were liberated. John Mcane; America's first ambassador to the Socialist republic of Vietnam was also kept here for over 5 years, tied and beaten.. It was during this period when the American plane bombers were kept here that it was named the "Hanoi Hilton". The place was suppose to hold only 200 prisoners, however held over 2000 at any given time.

It honestly was really heart wrenching to see. They had one room that showed what the main cells looked like for the men, and it was probably 25m long tables; two per room, where they would shackle them to the table and beat them. Then there were the "smaller" rooms where people were in confinment from everyone else, and then there were the death chambers, where people would await to be killed via the guillotine. Then there were rooms for mothers and children.... where there was one "bath" with very little water for the DAY to wash and clean dipers.. Like i shall not go on because it is quite sad and i just could go on and on, but i am sure you can read about it on the web! But it was a BIG eye opener, and i think that the killing fields in Cambodia will be another one to tell about.

Anyways we just got back from dinner and are heading to get on the night train to Hue, so i will write back in a few days!

Love love

Tay

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb