Junk Cruise


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
April 2nd 2007
Published: April 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our BoatOur BoatOur Boat

This is the boat we sailed on- it didn't have a name. Isn't that bad luck not to name a boat??
I must admit that I was apprehensive about taking a junk boat cruise. After all- what is considered junk in a developing country where everything is considered valuable. What would be in the junk yard?

Well, this little Imperial Junk ship would not be found in the scrap heap- it was like a mini cruise ship with multi-course meals, bottles of wine, fancy suites, and a view of a life time.

We cruised down Halong Bay- just east of Hanoi in northern Vietnam. There were only about 12 people on the boat and I met the nicest couple from Canada and Thailand.

First on the agenda was a 'light lunch' consisting of about 6 different courses and a bottle of wine. Three beers later I'm ready to go though the caves where we have just docked. The caves are huge and though very different from the other cave experience in Kho Sok- very impressive indeed. Huge formations and gigantic open cavernous areas were spectacular. My favorite was the little turtle shaped rock you could rub for knowledge.

We also stopped at a little sandy beach for a sunset swim. After living in Phuket for a while
Arrrg!Arrrg!Arrrg!

the junk boats going down the bay look like pirate ships going to steal treasure
the beach was nothing to write home about, but still blew US beaches away.

We went back to the ship for dinner and then sat on the deck for drinks and chatter with the other couple on the cruise. It was loads of fun and the scenery was absolutely breathtaking. I kept taking pictures, but ever one of them just seems like it didn't quite capture the essence. I should have majored in photography.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Here's the caveHere's the cave
Here's the cave

no treasure, but it was lovely
I kayakedI kayaked
I kayaked

I can't spell it, but I can pretend to do it...


Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0963s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb