Militarized Demilitarized Zone?


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
August 6th 2006
Published: August 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hopefully when i actually write this blog this title will make sense to you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Perfume RiverPerfume River
Perfume River

The first stop on our boat tour of the perfume river. A perfect start to a perfect tour.
Perfume ViewsPerfume Views
Perfume Views

A picture down the river. The whole day was filled with this kind of natural beauty. The boat may have been slow but the time never seems to bother you when you are looking at this the entire time.
Ben Hai RiverBen Hai River
Ben Hai River

The river that separated North and South vietnam during war times. Our first stop on our DMZ tour.
Tomb of Minh MangTomb of Minh Mang
Tomb of Minh Mang

One of the 3 tombs we visited during our tour. The only one of which we actually went inside.
RockpileRockpile
Rockpile

Not exactly a pile of rocks. More like a mountain. But for those of you Vietnam War History buffs then you may know that this was an important military lookout post.
Down the hole and to the leftDown the hole and to the left
Down the hole and to the left

Deep in the Vinh Moc tunnels. About 15 meters down to be exact. This complex network of tunnels was the real deal. They played host to nearly a hundred families who spent the larger part of 6 years underground.
Khe Sanh Combat BaseKhe Sanh Combat Base
Khe Sanh Combat Base

In front of the Khe Sanh museum. This particular hill was the site of perhaps the most brutal battle for the American soldier during the war. The photo documentation inside that building behind me was hard to look at with a dry eye.
Entering into darknessEntering into darkness
Entering into darkness

Following our guide into the tunnels.
Tour BusTour Bus
Tour Bus

In case people weren't sure that we were tourist, this massive DMZ tour sign helped to clear things up.
What to doWhat to do
What to do

Lonely planet says there is "no conceivable reason" to visit Dong Ha. We happen to be stuck there between bus rides for 4 hours and probably the only westerners in town. So we do our best here to kill time.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb