Demilitarised Zone (DMZ)


Advertisement
Published: May 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today was the day for a history lesson, the day started very slowly at 5.30am so we could meet our 6am bus and begin our 12 hour tour of the DMZ. The DMZ was a designated military-free zone 5km either side of the Ben Hai river (an unofficial border between North and South Vietnam during the Vietnam War)

Today there is nothing here to distinguish this point apart from a few bomb craters, memorials, hundreds of tombstones, and a truck load of tour buses.

The tour also included an extremely impressive tour of the Vinh Moc tunnels, these are made up of 2.8km of elaborate tunnels, we went down to 23m below ground. People lived in these tunnels for up to 6 years during the war for periods of up to 5 days at a time.

Other sites we visited included Khe Sanh combat base, Highway 9, Con Thien Firebase, the Rockpile, and got a view of part of the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

The tour was extremely slow going, for example, we only covered the last 50km in 1 hour 45min!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Jared standing in a bedroomJared standing in a bedroom
Jared standing in a bedroom

This space would hold up to four people


22nd May 2006

Small bedroom
Anna, I told you Jared's hotel choices could be a worry...Always trying to save a buck or two. Live a little mate, sharing that room with four not a great idea...haha Trips looking pretty amazing guys! About time you did some typing though Jared, don't be lazy now...

Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb