Phu Quoc island (Jan 2008)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Kien Giang » Phu Quoc Island
February 2nd 2008
Published: February 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had a lovely week in Phu Quoc with Geoff and Adi. Both of them met us in Ho Chi Minh City and fortunately for me, Geoff and I flew to the island. Lou and Adi took the cheaper option - an overnight bus ride to Rach Gia which dropped them at the ferry point at 3am, where they had a lovely, restful 3 hour sleep at the ferry point on some concrete benches, fighting off the mosquitoes! If that wasn't enough of an introduction to travelling in Vietnam for Adi, they then had a really rough ferry crossing where she spent the whole journey throwing up. There had been a typhoon in the South China sea which was causing a lot of turmoil. The one good part of the journey were their fellow passengers - two gorgeous South African men who they spent the rest of the week hunting for...

The journey was well worth it though. Phu Quoc is beautiful - gorgeous sandy beaches, beautiful ocean, palm tress - it looks like paradise. It's really unspoilt and hasn't been overdeveloped (yet), which makes it really quiet and peaceful, quite different from most of the islands we visited in Thailand. We stayed at a lovely resort Mai House on the beach in really nice natural bungalows, definitely the nicest place we've stayed at during our trip.

So we spent most of our days lazing at the beach, enjoying good food, cocktails and massage. Adi was addicted to the massages, having about 5 a day, the massage ladies loved her!

We went on a boat trip to the surrounding islands which was cool - went snorkelling and tried to catch some fish - none of us suceeded mind although the boat guys managed to catch loads so not sure where we were going wrong.

Our favourite day was a motorbike tour around the north of the island....well we all took guides, Geoff had his own bike and some how managed not to fall off despite the dirt tracks and crazy roads! We were all to scared to have our won. So we spent the day crusing around the countryside, visiting a pepper planation, fishing village, beach and market, a really cool day out.

The island is a big honeymoon destination and you can totally understand why, it's lovely. Lou was less than impressed with the cocktail menu thoguh....instead of a 'Screaming orgasm' there was a 'Honeymoon delight' and a 'Slow comfortable screw' was replaced with a 'Goodnight kiss'.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb