MISCHIEF ON THE MEKONG Part 3...Kidnapped & Extorted...The Polly Diaries


Advertisement
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Can Tho
July 1st 2013
Published: July 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

MISCHIEF ON THE MEKONG Part 3...Kidnapped & Extorted...The Polly Diaries. Two tom cats yowling into the night...a distant horn of a barge...a midnight knock on a door. The knocking repeated...louder this time...a man's voice wrenched out of deep sleep calling out "Who is it? Who is it?" Denise awoken in the next room..."That's Shane's voice?" A female voice "It's Housekeeping..... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




1st July 2013

Lottsa Mischief. Lottsa Mekong!
I'll attempt to pull the Travelblog card the next time I'm in a spot of bother. The story of Polly is harrowing. Though I find myself torn as to the outcome of the story, as I feel she may have even been better off with her kidnappers (liberators?) as it seems now inevitable she will have to suffer years more objectification at the end of that camels lens.
1st July 2013

Lottsa Mischief. Lottsa Mekong!
Touche...the ever caring Jason. Liberation -v- Lifestyle...didn't cross my mind. I was compelled by the closeness of the relationship and the tear in his eye...sometimes I don't think...I just do. Ask yourself...Would Polly be better off swimming in the Mekong or swanning around as a little green sultana in Dubai?
1st July 2013

The Travelblog Card
Very versatile...can be used as an Ace...or a Joker
1st July 2013

The Polly Diaries, a twisted tale
Bravo! Glad to see Polly....and Shane's smile have returned. What a gas! What a group! An adventure. And using...the Travel Blog card...now that is extortion. Good for you.
2nd July 2013

The Polly Diaries, a twisted tale
Thanks for commenting MJ. As I often say...someone's gotta do it.
1st July 2013
POLLY'S BACK

I don't think I was spreading the news of Polly's rescue in this photo, but thanks for trying to put a more agreeable slant on my mischievous behaviour.
1st July 2013

Polly in Peril
Yes, they were stressful days without my most photographed mascot. Thankfully, due to your tenacious efforts, Polly was gratefully returned and is now happily sitting with me in Dubai.
2nd July 2013

Polly in Peril
Thanks Shane...let's see how thankful you are...2,500,000 dong thankful???
1st July 2013

Awesome!
I hope Polly has got over her traumatic time. You should make it into a film, box office hit guaranteed.
2nd July 2013

Awesome!
Thanks Jo & Ian...thought you guys might enjoy the perils & surprises that can be encountered by our travel companions
1st July 2013

Brilliant adventure...
but you could have given Travel Camel your card...the one that says barrister! I've used the TB card myself...to get out of a non-cancellation hotel reservation for a room that was disgusting. In return I promised not to rate the hotel poorly on all the hotel reservation websites.
2nd July 2013

Brilliant adventure...
Thanks Bob. The Travelblog card...everyone should have one...I used it to score free coffee! You put a group of TBers together...how could it not have been a brilliant adventure?
2nd July 2013

MISCHIEF ON THE MEKONG Part 3...Kidnapped & Extorted...The Polly Diaries
Gotta rely on the coffee sachets in our hotel rooms for our coffee hits...boil water...Den's black...mine white with one sugar...white powder called creamer.
2nd July 2013
BRAVE POLLY

Laughing out loud!
Love this! Good call with the Travelblog card too....
2nd July 2013
BRAVE POLLY

Laughing out loud!
Thanks for commenting Andrea. Gotta feel sorry for Polly. Lots of emotions in this tale...and the photos.
2nd July 2013

was holding my breath
'twas like watching the movie 'Taken'...glad you managed to get Polly back! must have been devastating to relaize Polly has gone missing. good job you guys :)
2nd July 2013

was holding my breath
Thanks Tynnie...thanks for caring. Gotta admire Polly's big, brave heart...pretty big for a little green frog!
4th July 2013

The beers helped!
Thanks Dave for writing down those fun memories. Hope you and Denise are fine and will have more and more interesting stories from all around the world. There are still many beautiful places in Vietnam waiting for you ;) Cheers, Nhu
5th July 2013

The beers helped!
Hi Nhu. Thank you for the comment. Building a plan...building a pyramid of empty cans...fun memories. Hope to see you next time we are in Vietnam.
4th July 2013

What a hero!
Organizing the trip and then saving the day! I'm sure Polly will nominate your for TB Hero when that necessary category opens up. You're an inspiration to us all! Keep up saving the world, one frog at a time.
5th July 2013

Keep up saving the world, one frog at a time.
Great comment Tara. I'm just the messenger...just did what had to be done! Yet I wasn't in Afghanistan when Shane needed me. His kangaroo mascot Blue went missing in that country & has not been recovered. Guess there was no one there prepared to pay any ransom for him! Yet Polly is enjoying Dubai. C'est la vie!
28th July 2013

Fantastic!
A great story - so glad Polly made it home in one piece. Perhaps word will get around and you'll be in demand for other frogs who meet with misadventure. Interpolly Inc to the rescue!
28th July 2013
THE SEARCH BEGINS

Dancing One answering the distress call!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb