Cần Thơ (Mekong Delta - part 1)


Advertisement
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Can Tho
September 30th 2009
Published: September 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

24, 27 and 28 September 2009 - I was back in Cần Thơ city, which is the biggest city in the Mekong Delta, and it was my 3rd visit to this city. On this trip I would go further south through 4 provinces and reach the southernmost point of Vietnam. I decided to book a 5-day tour with a travel agent in Hanoi (Vietran Company) and the tour cost VND 3.9 million (US$200). If I traveled on my own, thi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The last night in Cần ThơThe last night in Cần Thơ
The last night in Cần Thơ

The guide (left side) and driver (right side) asked me and a couple on the tour to have some drinks with them from 10-11pm after they finished the duties and I agreed. I don't drink alcohol, so I only ate seafood and my favorite sweet soup (sâm bổ lượng). I traveled alone on this tour, so the local guide and driver always cared about me. I am very touched by their kindness.
A rice shop in Cần ThơA rice shop in Cần Thơ
A rice shop in Cần Thơ

When walking along the street near my hotel, I saw a rice shop with various types and prices. One of the famous rice is "dragon blood rice" (gạo huyết rồng) which has the red color. It's also the most expensive rice at this shop. The Mekong Delta is the biggest rice exporting region of Vietnam.
Crocodile catching at Mỹ Khánh villageCrocodile catching at Mỹ Khánh village
Crocodile catching at Mỹ Khánh village

With VND 3,000 you can buy a piece of pig lung for catching a crocodile. Be careful as the crocodiles are very strong and they may get your rod before swimming away.
Cyclos for rent at Mỹ Khánh villageCyclos for rent at Mỹ Khánh village
Cyclos for rent at Mỹ Khánh village

With VND 30,000 (US$1.7) you can rent a cyclo and cycle around the village. These cyclos are of small size, and not so big like the ones you see in the big cities of Vietnam.
Cái Răng floating marketCái Răng floating market
Cái Răng floating market

This shot was taken at 5:30am so it looks very dark. At the floating market, the locals bring their own products to sell, mainly fruit and vegetables. You can know what they sell based on the poles on the front side of their boats. In this photo, you can see grapefruits on the poles.
Phở tàu bay (noodle soup)Phở tàu bay (noodle soup)
Phở tàu bay (noodle soup)

I saw a cafeteria shop on the street near my hotel with a board on the upstair balcony. It made me smile when I saw the name of noodle soup "Phở tàu bay" (noodle + plane). I didn't understand its meaning. When I was back home, I asked my parents and they said that is the noodle soup without meat, ie only noodle and soup.
At Mỹ Khánh villageAt Mỹ Khánh village
At Mỹ Khánh village

Altar for worshipping Buddhism inside the 103-year-old house.
View of Cần Thơ riverView of Cần Thơ river
View of Cần Thơ river

The bridge on the right side is Cần Thơ bridge, which is funded by the Japanese government (ODA loan) and now under construction (Japanese contractors). Last year a serious accident happened, resulting in the death of many Vietnamese workers. The project was delayed for a while. Upon completion of this bridge in March 2010, the current ferry across the Mekong river will no longer be used and it will save the time for traveling between Sài Gòn and Cần Thơ.



30th September 2009

Cần Thơ city
Dear Ms. Ha, Thanks for your detailed story and beautiful photos of the city, where any Japanese tours do not cover. Regards Kob
30th September 2009

Once again thanks for a very well written and informative blog. One of the Sydney newspapers ran a story last weekend about Cần Thơ and tours on the Mekong, but it was not as informative as your blog. Lorenza and I will probably visit Vietnam again in February 2010, so your blgs are very helpful. Take care!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb