Walking through Da Lat


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Central Highlands » Lam Dong » Da Lat
July 6th 2011
Published: August 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wandering away we discussed the crazy house's relative beauty although I continued to state its image was 100%!d(MISSING)ifferent then the LP guidebook photo. The only thing was the book was in the hotel room. It would have to wait until later. Turning left we walked a few buildings down watching the road disappear off into the distance away from town. Turning around we went back to the starting point turned left and went down a narrow alley. Thirty yards down hill we moved left and right through the concrete maze until we reached a Tran Phu street. Walking the main thoroughfare for a few minutes we realized an abundance of traffic increasing along with the amount of noise. Dodging vehicles we crossed the street reaching the front steps of an in progress renovation of a Christian church.

Turning right onto Duy Tan we walked down the road crossing the bridge when I realized we had been here earlier in the day while searching for Hotel Chau Au - Europa. With this realization I suggested we walk behind the buildings away from the traffic noise along the canal its bright colored pastel buildings popping up along
the right side. Agreeing we turned right down a short flight of steps onto the pathway.

Shortly after we begun our walk four twelve year old boys came running out the back door of a shop just a few yards in front of us. The second boy out didn't notice us because his friends blocked his view. Stopping next to a flower pot his friends ran forward the last two realizing we were walking up. The three boys began laughing as we gained ground on the boy next to the flower pot. As we got closer we both realized he was peeing and laughed a bit louder than necessary spooking the boy who nearly pissed down his own leg while trying to stop and catch back up with his friends. His facial expression was priceless.

A few minutes later the sidewalk disappeared on the left. Our options were to walk back up to the noisy street or cross a small foot bridge and continue on the right. We opted for the bridge crossing over as two mopeds went quickly past in both directions. Thankfully neither needed to use their horns. Completing the walkway we reached Ba Trieu the same road we began our journey on to reach the Crazy House. Neither of us in the mood to head back to the hotel just yet we decided to follow three older women across the street each one carrying a board with sunglasses for sale. Reaching the other side our choices were climbing the stairs that lead to the street our hotel is on or turning right following the streaming line of people. We opted for this road.

Meandering up the road all the buildings on the right side were leveled. Here and there one building stood out of the rubble. Children played on top of piles of bricks. Men stood around in groups talking and smoking amongst the rubbish. Snapping off a few photographs we discussed our thoughts about what had happened and why we had such a nice view from our balcony. Moving along the street only two mopeds went in through the narrow four foot pathway. Every shop on the left was either selling convenience store items or food. At one point I stopped to admire a moth the size of my hand resting on a glass window. Two older women in the restaurant
were fascinated by my photography skills as I was fascinated by the immensity of this bug.

Moving along we finally reached the central market roundabout. At this point we chose to find a cafe, sit down and enjoy a drink. Earlier in the day we had spotted several cafes overlooking the market place. Turning up Le Dai Hanh we started up the road until we found a staircase leading up to the road above and the entrances to the cafes. Beginning the climb we immediately noticed the rickety shape of the metal steps. With each step up the step would warp, bend, or twist in any of four directions. At one point there were five missing steps. Climbing along the rail we reached two more bent steps. The staircase must have been put in twenty years ago and no one has bothered to look at it since. Eventually we reached the top street laughing about the staircase and marking it into the mental notes as down only.

Over to the first cafe we went. As we approached a fifteen year old kid stood up asking if we would like to come inside? Looking at
the restaurant we didn't see anyone inside but a couple of people smoking on the patio. Opting to continue looking, I suggested we go past them all since there's only seven maybe eight in total. The next one looked just as vacant, as did the third, fourth and fifth. However the last couple had no lights on and no guests inside making it easier to choose from. Heading back we stopped at the fourth one to inquire about a seat on the patio. The place was packed with people inside and out. We were happy to take the table until the wafts of cigarette smoke nearly drove me mad. Before the staff could hand us menus we stood up walking out. Two doors down we turned facing the steps of a light cream pastel restaurant. Its bright orange sign stating Banh Mi Tuoi Tin Tin Bread and Pizza. Looking at each other we shrugged our shoulders and descended the steps unsure of what we would find?















Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.716s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 58; dbt: 0.5127s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb