Da Lat


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Central Highlands » Lam Dong » Da Lat
May 5th 2006
Published: May 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Its COLD!!

At 1500m this was the first time in a while that either of us had felt cold. Jeans and tops were dug out from the bottom or our bags and Amy even resorted to a blanket! To be fair though it was a welcome change from continually sweating all day.

Da Lat was a strange town. Cheesy is probably the best word for it. Its a popular spot with foreign and vietnamese tourists and it seems that the local authorities are obsessed with turning every attraction in to a mini theme park. At the lake in the centre of town you could hire Swan-shaped pedelos out by the hour, it reminded us of Alton Towers!
We hired a motorbike for a couple of days and headed out around the town. Saw a few pagodas (with cheesy neon buddhas) and waterfalls (with cheesy model animals).

More interesting was the "Crazy House", a gallery/hotel which seemed very out of place in Vietnam, but sort of in place in Da Lat. Also the old Summer Palace of the last emporer, Bao Dai. This place was very retro and we know a few friends who would die for some of the furniture in there.

The town itself was OK though, but maybe a little heavy on the neon.... There were some great little french style cafes around that had escaped the war which were perfect for a slow coffee.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Da Lat MarketDa Lat Market
Da Lat Market

Da Lat is known for it's fresh fruit
AmyAmy
Amy

This was taken at a Pagoda near the Quang Trung Reservoir


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb