Winter coat to the ready...


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Central Highlands » Lam Dong » Da Lat
December 14th 2007
Published: December 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SaigonSaigonSaigon

Acting up with the locals who have ice cold water at just the right time!
The waterpark was awesome! There were about 10 other people there and it lived up to the billing! The highlights would have to be the kamikaze (which reminded me of my 78(ish) year old grandad flying down them in Majorca!), and a 'bumble bee' ride which sent you skimming down a long straight section before throwing you into a centrifuge which you 'fell' out of, any which way! After 7 hours in there it was not that comfortable sitting on the bus to go home!

The rest of Saigon was nice if completely hectic with literally hundreds of motorbikes going anywhere at any speed they wanted - crossing the road was a baptism of fire!

Unfortunately the Barnsley lad was had! We met a very friendly local who explained that he was a teacher just on his way home but would love to practise more english and could show us where to have a great evening meal! The speel was complex involving a pregnant wife, special meals that weren't on the menu and only enjoyed for real celebrations, english sayings e.g. sick as a parrot and lots of charisma...etc. Anyway, we go for what was actually a really nice
Chinese templesChinese templesChinese temples

Diffusing incense
meal, enjoyed a few beers, chatted, taught him English and learnt some vietnamese... then the bill comes.....650000 dong!! - about 20 quid but trust me that is complete extortion! We paid and then only in hinesight, thought more and realised that it was all an elaborate scam! Argh well the meal was lovely if not as 'special' as we were led to beleive!

After a few days in Saigon we headed to the Mekong Delta in the south where it's much less touristed. It was full of peaceful scenic tributaries meandering into the mekong river which we travelled along in dug out canoes, as well as wonderful villages with children running out to see and yell hello at us! We travelled 150km in 3 days on bicycles which were thankfully much better than those in Siam Reap! It was great to get out into the fresh air and see some 'real vietnamese life'. We passed numerous paddy-fields (not an Irish man in sight mind...) and learnt about the local area from our guide (an incredibly vane and self-confident local, who incidently was amazed beyond belief by my polarized sunglasses - slightly odd!).

Then came the beach again, along
Mekong deltaMekong deltaMekong delta

Our friendly boat driver
a 10km stretch of white sand in Mui Ne. It was a great place to relax and sit by the pool/beach. There was an abundance of water-sports, particulary kite/wind surfing, but I never quite summoned the eneregy to leave the pool and beach out front!

I am now in Dalat in the Central Highlands which is busier than usual thanks to the flower festival that begins tomorrow - should be worth a gander. It's certainly cooler than the coast although not quite as cold as the locals in huge fur coats, hats, gloves and winter boots would suggest (I was wondering where I had come sitting on the bus)! Had an explore today and got 2 marriage proposals - maybe they are amazed by my genetic make-up that allows me to wear shorts in such an adverse artic climate! Steve has stayed in Mui Ne for the time being but I am sure we'll meet up again soon.

Hope you're all well and getting all festive!

xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Scallop  ShellsScallop  Shells
Scallop Shells

A beach of discarded shells that stretched for 10's of metres!
Mui NeMui Ne
Mui Ne

A beautiful sunset


14th December 2007

Marriage
So did you take any of the guys up on their offer??????

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb