Heaven in the Highlands


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Central Highlands » Dak Lak » Buon Ma Thuot
July 2nd 2009
Published: July 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Unfortunately the hot water was also broken in Dalat Towers so we were treated to an early cold shower and a quick breakfast before we were back on the road. We spent the morning at a Pagoda or two and then we went to see what is known in Dalat as the crazy house, a mental boutique treehouse hotel a Vietnamese architect has created, it was very cool and i so wished we had tried to sleep in the treehouse instead!!! We drove for about 3 hours before stopping for an incredible lunch that cost about 50p (Roll your own spring rolls - Yum) and after a few quick stops for photo taking we arrived at Lak Lake, a beautiful big lake and a very lovely room (Phew). Before dinner we were treated to a traditional gong show by the N'Mong people in a longhouse; One of the N'Mong's traditions is to drink rice wine with a bamboo straw for a big earthenware pot, we have had a lot of rice wine over the last few months and this was easily the most drinkable, needless to say after the show was over both Tel and I were a little merry and so we continued drinking and eating with a group of easy riders who were going in the opposite direction to us. We had a great night and started the next morning with a thick head and a lot of stuff to do and see! First we had a walk around a traditional village where we got to see daily life in a village which was pretty awesome. We stopped en route at a silk factory and a textile village which was pretty interesting and which netted me two pure silk scarves for under £2 - winner! We then stopped for another incredible lunch and had a wander around Boun Ma Thuot city trying to find a snake to cook for dinner (Luckily we were too late for the snake lady!?). From here we took a trip to a lovely waterfall and then made our way to our home for the evening in the jungle. We had another great evening enjoying the Vietnamese beer, food and hospitality.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Tel with BaoTel with Bao
Tel with Bao

His brother from another mother!


7th July 2009

Beautiful!
I love your pictures, especially the ones titled "Another World" and "So Perfect". Wow. We just returned from a weekend in Beijing, but I'm already planning a 4-5 day trip to Vietnam in October. Where would you suggest we go if we only have a few days? I'd like to see the city life, but also get out into the rural country. Can you make some suggestions?

Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 79; dbt: 0.2452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb