Silk Road Splendour


Advertisement
Asia » Uzbekistan » Karakalpakstan
January 4th 2020
Published: January 6th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Mixed feelings about Uzbekistan. We’d saved it until last, partly to allow temperatures to drop into September (and so that we got higher temperatures in Kyrgyzstan by going there in August which we needed in the high mountains), and partly because we expected it to be the highlight of Central Asia. In some ways it was; many of the ancient Silk Road cities are beautiful and the people were extre... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Ship Cemetery in former Aral Sea at MoynaqShip Cemetery in former Aral Sea at Moynaq
Ship Cemetery in former Aral Sea at Moynaq

Note the tornado in the background.
Chilpik QalaChilpik Qala
Chilpik Qala

Rather than a fort, this one is believed to be a Zoroastrian religious site where corpses were placed for exposure to vultures.
Sitori-i-Mokhi Khosa Palace, BukharaSitori-i-Mokhi Khosa Palace, Bukhara
Sitori-i-Mokhi Khosa Palace, Bukhara

Bukhara emirs' countryside palace built in the late 19th century.



6th January 2020

Uzbekistan
I sense an ambivalence in your written assessment David, somewhat tempered by your observation of retiree tourism and perceptions of restoration versus not. Yet your trip appears to be self planned one where you discovered the beauty of Uzbekistan and its people and your beautiful photos highlight that. We tied Uzbekistan into our recent Russian trip and I've gotta say it was full of so many highlights I can't wait to blog it when I have finished the Russian blogs that are presently the subject of my this and that. It is our most friendly destination in the World.
6th January 2020
Ship Cemetery in former Aral Sea at Moynaq

The drying up of the Aral Sea
Thank you for mentioning the Russian obsession with cotton growing that sucked the Aral Sea dry. Fortunately the President of Uzbekistan has reduced cotton production dramatically as it is too thirsty a crop for the water available in his country. The Aral Sea desert is testament to the rape of countries by imperialist regimes that leave and then can wipe their hands of the destruction they have caused.
6th January 2020
Khiva

Beautiful Khiva
Great pic...beautiful.
6th January 2020

Thanks for the memories...
I enjoyed the trains. I also am pleased I visited before the throngs of tourists and their buses.
7th January 2020

I hope I haven't come across as anti-Uzbekistan, anti-coach trip, and anti-retired people going on holiday! The photos are reminding me how stunning it was and the people are great. But for backpackers who are looking for independent travel and more untouched sights, I would probably recommend the other Stans. Whereas for people who want something different from their usual Mediterranean holidays but don't want to have to think for themselves too much regarding transportation and accommodation then I would really recommend Uzbekistan!
7th January 2020

How to travel Uzbekistan
We arranged a tailored private tour of Uzbekistan from Australia with an Uzbek company where we booked our own accommodation in small family owned hotels but had drivers and guides as well as days off to do our own thing. This was easily arranged and highly professional and not expensive. The Uzbek company suggested itineraries which we tailored so all they had to arrange were book trains, drivers and guides. The guides were exceptional. We are not coach trip travellers and could not imagine discovering Uzbekistan that way. The benefit of being met at airports, train stations and hotels rather than relying on public transport was gold. Sometimes local companies have the inside knowledge and know the best sites and are very happy to get the business by organising tailored tours so we can also do our own thing. We met others doing the same who also want to do their own thing but need assistance with seamless transport in countries where travelling backpacker style can be problematic. We did following the Dakar Rally in Bolivia this way and the results were out of this World...our driver had set the Dakar Rally course!!!
4th February 2020

Great article
Great article, very nicely written and beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing!
21st November 2021

Thanks for writing
Thanks for the blog post, interesting to read your perspective. I am a very keen hiker too with thoughts of getting some hiking in when I get to Uzbekistan- looks like it will be more of a challenge than Kyrgystan (as you pointed out).
22nd November 2021

Yep, I think so. Generally, we prefer not to hike with a guide but if I go back to Uzbekistan I'd probably get one.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb