Love a Great Train and a Great Cha Am Market


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
July 20th 2016
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 13.7388, 100.558

I woke before alarm was due to go off at 7am. Quietly jumped in shower but took ages to get it adjusted. Heard a noise - there is mum on the toilet!! Mel was walking by time I was dressed. Finished packing and down to breakfast. Watched as an Indian man moved a slice of bread from the bread tray with his hand - then a few slices - then a handful of slices. He finally got to the slices he wanted so then used tongs to pick the slices up and place them into the toaster!!!!!! Ordered three serves of bacon and got four but at least it is normal bacon not the horrible beef bacon that some hotels serve. After the small breakfast of coco pops, bacon eggs and toast, one hotcake and two or three orange juices we headed back to room for last minute packing. Bellboy called to get our bags. I guess it is because we are catching a taxi that stuff just seemed to multiply and we had extra bags. Shoes went in their own bag rather than packed. Between the three of us we have 2 big backpack/suitcases, 3 small suitcases, 3 backpacks,1 camera in bag, pool bag that had all the fridge stuff, one bag of shoes, a bag of papers and two handbags. We do travel lightly!!! And to think Mel has survived for 251 days with just a suitcase and handbag.
Down to the foyer by 8.55am for the 9.15 taxi. Plenty of time to check out and go to the toilet. No. Taxi already there. Bags packed quickly and we were ready to go - except Mel was still using the restaurant toilet. I took a photo of mum and the doorman - he recognised mum from the last who-knows-how-many years. Mum got in the taxi and they did a circle as the car behind had to leave then drive back up to the door. Still no Mel. I didn't want to go and hassle her - but then found out that I should have. She had been locked in the toilet and had been waiting for someone to come and let her out. Whoops.
9.06 we left. We drove passed the park Mel and I went to last night. Pointed it out to mum as she didn't know it was there but - to give her credit, she may have driven passed hundreds of times but I could only just see the water occasionally and the park was on my side of the car. She could see the big fence that goes around it but that was all. You just don't know what is just behind the fence or just around the corner.
The taxi driver stopped at a servo after about an hour's drive where Mel and I went it the squat toilet then the driver went into the shop and came out with three bottles of water, straws and a wet sealed face washer. The taxi turned off freeway and into the back streets. I saw the sign to Mae Klong where train is so started getting out the camera. We crossed the train line. Then back onto a main road. It is so confusing when you don't know where you are and cannot read the signs. A bit later the driver happily announces that we are alarmist at the floating market. Floating market???... No no train market. Toot toot. Of course being a main highway we had to drive a couple of kilometres to do a u-turn. The race was then on to get to the market before the train left.
I don't know how but we made it in time. I had hoped to be there to see the train arrive and leave but once is better than missing it totally. He threw us out on the corner and pointed the way and off we went. There were a few more tourists this time than four years ago and we were in a different spot to last time. I was walking between Mel who was on the lookout for the best spot to stand and mum who was finding it a bit challenging walking over the train lines with all the stones and the crowds of people. We were there in total for about ten minutes when the announcement went over and the canopy's started to be pulled down, food trolling wheeled back and locals directing the tourists in best place to stand to be safe. Great sight when you see the train coming around the bend and the horn tooting. Yes - we did make it!!!
We were at the market for possibly 30 minutes before we headed to Cha Am.
Possibly as it is a Thai special observation two-day, it took ages to get down the Main Street of Cha Am then alone the beach front to the hotel. Piled out of the taxi and headed to reception. About 3 staff recognised mum and were most happy to see her. We then had to explain that the booking was for two people but we had three here. Luckily they quickly understood. Up to room 262 and unpacked and sorted and made a big mess. Off for a swim for an hour or so - Mel talking on phone for most of that time then dressed for market. I looked outside and it was pouring so we put market on hold and kept sorting out stuff. Mel and I swapped suitcases and I packed a small one with things that are going back home Still more sorting to do tomorrow.
Once the rain stopped we headed to see Mr Long the taxi man and headed to the Wednesday night Cha Am market. We don't know why but it seemed smaller than previous years - definitely not as big or as good. Mind you we did still manage to spend some money!! We bought a dress each, two tops for me and 3 pair earrings for me,
Mel got her picklets on a stick from the stall next to the fresh orange juice man on the corner. It is the same place she has been every year so it has to be only that place that they are bought from. We had an OJ and two picklets each then later a potato spiral on a stick. Yummy. Half the time we were with mum other half we went separate ways. She is tiring easily and also finds it hard standing in one spot for ages. I sat her down and Mel and I went to get her a plastic coffee cup for hotel. As we were walking back I spotted David and Sassi sitting about 5 metres from mum. We had a quick catch up but we had ordered Mr Long to come back and get us so couldn't stay. We will catch up with them in next few days - hopefully before Mel goes in a week.
Back to the hotel Mel and I walked to the 7/11 to get sliced cheese and two magnums. Did a bit more sorting and ate a few biscuits and cheese then off to bed. Quickly finishing diary then to sleep as Mum will be up at 6 for a swim. Might or might not join her......


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb