Don't Pull Wool Over Mel's Eyes!!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
July 19th 2016
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 13.7388, 100.558

Mel and I decided today that we would go to the Flower Market after Breakfast then to MBK. We went and asked at the taxi rank but the tuk tuk driver said 500 baht which was way too much. We headed into Terminal 21 to see if we could catch public transport there but it was going to be using the public bus system that we didn't understand.
We headed off to MBK via the train. We found a crystal place that was 600 baht each so we got one of just Melissa and one of the two of us. We were able to have three photos taken to then choose from. To have the crystals made, you need to sit in a photo booth while the machine takes your photo. The man was so funny. He would put his hands together and bow slightly and say sorry then put my arm around Melissa. Hands together, sorry and push our heads together - gestured to get me to sit up taller and Melissa to go a bit lower, hands together and sorry again then pushed our heads closer together and straightening them. We chose our photos then went off for 40 minutes before coming back to get them. They looked fantastic as usual.
I bought some purple flowers with lights in them for the front hallway. We had maccas for lunch - more so for the Internet than the food - great. No internet!!!!!
Headed back to the hotel and mum and I went for a swim while Mel continued the job of sorting through photos from the last few weeks on her computer. We went to the exchange money then left mum sitting in the Tops food court while we went to see this park Melissa keeps talking about. It is mean to be around the corner and be made up 90% of lake - in the middle of Bangkok. Maybe I might have not quite believed her.... We walked passed a group of people as we headed to the park and Melissa asked if I noticed the man at the start of the group.... Well, yea - of course I took great attention to some random white guy walking along the street - NOT!! He was a guy why has been to most countries in the world and has an online travel blog that Mel often refers to. She knew he said he frequented this park and lived in the area and went to a gym that she has seen near here so was hoping she might see him....
We made it to the park that this guy had written about and - boy - wow - amazing - sorry Mel but I didn't believe you but - wow!! It was huge. There was a walking/running track going anticlockwise and a cycling path running clockwise around the lake. The pond in Benjakitti Park is 200 x 800 metres - not quite what I would call a pond. Lots of people had hired bikes for a fun slow ride, others had brought their own bikes and were going at a hell of a pace. Some people were skipping with a rope, others doing yoga and others waiting with their tripods for sunset. It was an amazing serene quiet park in the middle of a city that does not stop. We stayed awhile trying to get some good sunset photos but it was disappointing.
We headed back to Tops for dinner. They have the coupon system - although now they use a reusable card - to purchase meals with. You go to a central booth, pay money for whatever amount you want then take the card and choose where you want to eat and pay with the card. At the end of the meal you then go back and exchange any remaining funds. The system works well once you get your head around it - except that not all of the eateries in the food court use the cards. Mel and I ate dinner at Mrs Balbir's Indian Restaurant but they only accept cash. Melissa wanted a smoothie that was on card. I bought a bottle of water somewhere else and put both card and cash in my hand for her to choose - I don't know how you know!!!!
We went to the taxi rank outside tops to negotiate a taxi for tomorrow. He gave a price, mum said no, he came back with another price, mum exclaimed to us that that was a big drop in price but when we confirmed the price it had suddenly risen. Melissa quickly picked up on the increase (don't ever try to pull the wool over Melissa's eyes) so we carefully confirmed all details. Time. Price. Train market for about an hour then Cha Am. Ok. All sorted.
Headed back to hotel stopping at George's place. He was not there but mum wanted photos of the shop to show dad. The poor man did not know mum at all but mum was telling him to be in photos. I stood outside laughing at the poor man while he smiled uncomfortably and watched me laughing at him - sorry. I then saw the man answer his mobile phone, talk for a few seconds then pass the phone to mum. The man out the front with me looked over and said 'George'. George might have been home but he was watching the security cameras and saw mum in there so rang!! I have to now work out Skype so George can talk to dad when I get back to Australia!! Finished packing and off to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb