Swimming in the rain!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
July 18th 2006
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 12.8, 99.9667

Woke up at some stage quite cold. Due to temp outside, the air conditioner had been left on all night but near morning I got quite cold. Bed has two blankets sandwiched between two sheets!! I pulled bed cover onto bed to help keep me warm. Finally back to sleep. Woke up just before 8. Mum and Dad had already been up and swam in sea!! Mel and I beat them to breaky!!

We walked along road about 10 – 15 minutes from hotel. Anything goes here. It is often easier to walk on the road. The footpath is littered with signs, bikes, people (including the spruikers for the shops – mostly tailor shops) and food carts. During the day, it was mostly chickens for sale, in the evening lots of fish. These food carts may either sit and sell from the one spot each day or move around. They have a bike with cart attached either to the front or side or with someone walking it along (like a wheelbarrow). When you walk on the road, the traffic just moves around you.

We found an optometrist – again can't fix frames. They spoke little English which made it fun!! We decided to look for new frames and lenses for Mel. Hard with them knowing only limited English to say 'wants frames right round glass , NOT TOP HALF FRAME ONLY', 'same shape as ones she has' , ‘bigger than ones she had (don't know if I ever really got this message through). Same/similar colour to current ones. Finally found a pair that she liked. Next bit, type of lenses – normal (BHT650) or ? (BHT1300). Decided normal glass in frames. Total cost BHT2750. Ordered then. ‘One moment'. Told Pa what we'd done, then thought I should ask when ready - hopefully before we leave Cha Am. ‘Today = Tuesday. When ready? Wednesday Thur.... They no understand. We tried again but can't get a day. We used the calendar - it was so so hard. Then they get out a carry bag and case for glasses. I quietly asked mum ‘do they know I want prescription lenses – not just frames?' By the time I filled in form, we were presented with her glasses – finished and ready to go with correct lenses. That quick. No wonder she didn't understand what day to pick up!!

Mum and Dad put films in for developing. We walked back passed hotel to bakery. Bought small loaf of bread for BHT18. Got a piece of chicken from a street vendor. Cooked earlier, heated while we waited, chopped and placed in bag with a dipping sauce in small plastic bag. Even given small container to tip sauce into. Back to Mums room. Ate chicken, bread, butter, vegemite and fruit with chocolate milk. A real feast. After lunch we changed a – just as it started to rain. Mel went for a swim with Mum and Dad following as rain eased off. You could read the eyes of the hotel staff ‘stupid tourists, it's cold and raining, and they're swimming'. We spent a good hour there then moved to the other pool which isn't as popular. It would be fantastic if it was all up and running. It has two spas, elephants squirting water as well as fish, an umbrella that water runs over and a bar with 4 or 5 bar stools – with the seats under water. Unfortunately bar, spa and waterworks not running. Mel and I spent ages in there. Nana and Pa had been sitting next to the pool but had to move when the rain started again. A staff member walked passed Mum saying it was wet and cold. He took 10 or so steps and saw us in the water "stupid tourists"!!

Showered then out for dinner. We found a small restaurant up a side street. We ate on footpath (so pedestrians had to use road again!!). Dad decided to have a baked potato. Mum rolled her eyes so I said ‘sorry Pa but no', Mum (and I) wanted to get 2 or 3 dishes and all share. I think dad a bit put out. Anyway!! Ordered steamed rice, sweet and sour pork, stir fry chicken and veggies and a chicken soup with lime. Soup too spicy for Mel but I quite liked it (as did Mum and Dad). We all shared rest – Mel ate most of it (not pineapple). Glad we ordered as we did. A plate by itself would have been boring and hard to get through – too much of the same thing. I was able to get on internet and sent emails – 1bht per minute- min 30BHT and rang Peter. Walked up to get photos – shop shut!! Just about every other shop open – only 8pm. Bought icy pole on way back to hotel.

Mel in bed and straight to sleep by 8.45. I'm heading to bed at 10pm




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0144s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb