CHEOW LAN LAKE & KHAO SOK NATIONAL PARK


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 12th 2016
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 9.03883, 98.6917

(Since we did not have internet access, this entry will include the period from February 11-12.)

On February 11th, a 5-hour drive from Phuket to Khao Sok National Park, including a lunch stop, took us to the dock at Cheow Lan Lake where we continued by Thai long-tail boat to our floating eco-resort, Panvaree Resort. Inside Khao Sok National Park, we were immersed in unbelievable landscapes of this 285-square-mile reserve. The park's vertical limestone mountains are draped in the world's oldest virgin rain forest—with more biodiversity than the Amazon—and punctuated by caves, deep valleys and numerous lakes.

It is rumored that rebel militia and guerrillas inhabited the area in the 1960's and 70's. This kept others away and, if there is a upside, allowed to wildlife population to prosper. An impressive collection of wildlife inhabits the park, and the area around Cheow Lan Lake is one of the best wildlife-viewing regions in mainland Southeast Asia.Rising before breakfast, we boarded a long-tail boat for a wildlife safari on the jade-green water, dotted with karst islands to watch the sunrise. Along the way, we spotted numerous species of monkeys (macaques, langurs, and gibbons) and great hornbills before returning to the floating resort for breakfast.

Later in the day, we headed out across the lake, and then on foot to continue looking for the many primates that live around the lake. Camera trap recordings in the area by scientific researchers have also revealed populations of extremely rare Malayan tapir, leopard, guar (the world's largest wild ox), Asiatic black bear and the occasional wild Asian elephant, though we did not see any of these on our excursion. We did hike to a cave that is hidden along the shore of the lake. We hiked in using flashlights and were amazed by the formations that we saw, rivaling Lurray Caverns and other developed caves.

Later in the afternoon, we had the opportunity to explore the lake by kayak. Paddling in stillness, we experience the profound serenity around the lake. We also had a chance to spot more monkeys swinging in the trees.

We ended the evening with dinner along the water's edge, followed by beers with our fellow travelers and expedition leader.



Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb