KHAO PHRA THAEO NATIONAL PARK/ THAI COOKING CLASS


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 10th 2016
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 7.89072, 98.3988

On the northeast edge of Phuket, Khao Phra Thaeo National Park is the last rain forest refuge on the island. Two hundred years ago, the island teemed with tigers, wild elephants and gibbons that roamed the undisturbed forest. Once humans arrived, however, the steady destruction of habitat drove wildlife away. Only an isolated tract of forest, preserved within the park, remains. The giant trees and forest canopy provide habitat for many endangered species. And while we did not see these elusive creatures in the dense vegetation, the park harbors wild boar, langur, barking and mouse deer, palm civet, monkeys, cobra, python, flying fox and many species of birds, as well as gibbons.

We hiked to a scenic waterfall and visited the park's gibbon project, which rescues and rehabilitate gibbons that have been exploited in the tourism industry. Through a very slow process they can be re-introduced to the wild, though it can take years to teach them how to survive. With the dedicated efforts of volunteers, many gibbons have been successfully returned to their native rain forest habitat inside the park.

This afternoon we participated in a cooking class at the Blue Elephant cooking school, and dined on the 4-course meal we learned to prepare in class for dinner. The Blue Elephant is housed in a former governor's mansion that was featured in the film "The Killing Fields".

Driving back through town, we also passed by the hotel featured in the Leonardo DiCapro film, "The Beach" (where DeCapro received the treasure map in the beginning of the film).


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Silky waterfall photo...very artistic!Silky waterfall photo...very artistic!
Silky waterfall photo...very artistic!

Our Natural Habitat expedition leader is a very accomplished photographer. So, I have a personal tudor.


Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb