Koh Lanta


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
March 24th 2014
Published: March 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Sah wah dee kha! - Hello

Finally found the time to start writing this.Had a few hiccups with adapter problem so sorry for the delay. Arrived in Phuket last Monday, a week gone already! Took a five hour journey to Krabi passing some beautiful scenery and two small ferry rides to get to this lovely island.On the journey down I kept getting images of Captain Jack and The Black Pearl lol! It's a bit more built up than I imagined, a lot of tourists!The island is 30 Km long and 6km wide and has 11 white sandy beaches, most are lined with bars and various accommodation mostly bamboo huts surrounded by a backdrop of rubber trees, palm trees, mountains and jungle.The further south you go the quieter it is and there are four secluded beaches almost untouched. Obviously haven't seen much of it yet but I'm here for six weeks so plenty of time to explore.

Started at the Lanta Animal Welfare center on the Wednesday.The organisation was started by a dutch lady Junie Kovacs who came to Thailand to set up a cooking school and restaurant. Koh Lanta was relatively a dog free island as its population is 98 percent Muslim and many of them do not like dogs. The problem started when the big resorts started to build on Lanta and workers were were hired from other parts of Thailand because they were cheaper labour than the locals. These workers brought guard dogs with them and abandoned them once the work was completed. Tourists fed them, meaning high survival rate and the population exploded. Locals began dealing with the dog situation by poisoning, drowning, stabbing them or putting fish hooks in their food. Junie a big animal lover, very distressed at the situation began rescuing the animals , numbers increasing she used her profits from the business to build this amazing center which opened in 2010 now home to Twenty three cats, twenty kittens and thirty five dogs. The dogs are kept in different packs, throughout the day they are outside with lots of space water and shade and every dog has at least one walk a day. If any dogs are in the kennels during the day for various reasons, illness etc, they are walked three times a day.Not only do they look after these animals, they run a sterilisation program, regularly checking the island for strays. Locals also bring there pets to be treated here, no animal is turned away even if the owner cannot afford the treatments. The vets treat everything from snake bites to car accidents carrying out operations on site. Volunteers and animals live in very close contact sharing the facilities. The volunteer accommodation consists of six double rooms with a toilet and shower, very basic!! Shifts are from seven till one and one till seven, with one day off. We also do a night shift once a week . There is a mosque close by and the dogs start barking at five am at the call to prayer, some of the locals have been complaining so we have to be here to quieten them down as there is the fear of the center being shut down. The center has a few paid workers, but is staffed mainly by volunteers. It is incredible what has been achieved by one woman alone!

Found my first week pretty hard going trying to cope with the heat and the sheer amount of tasks to take in but getting there, once I've been here a few weeks and know the routine and all about the center I'll have to give guided tours to the many visitors that come - one task I'm not looking forward too lol!. As you can imagine I'm sweaty, covered in mozzie bites, cat pee and dog poop but loving every minute of it and so glad I came. Hope I haven't bored you all too much with the detail.

Advertisement



24th March 2014

blog
Hey May, it's wonderful to read your blog, and to know that you are making your dream real! So happy you're there, I was just thinking about you the other day but I thought it was in the summer you were going...and happy for all the details too, that really make it come alive. Keep the blog coming, please - lots of love xxx
30th March 2014

Hi Joanne hope all is well with you, living the dream and loving it!
24th March 2014

greetings from cold and for the day... sunny scotland
hi may, great to hear from you, i can imagine your surroundings so loving the details, great to hear from you, have met with dana once and we plan to meet up next month, lots of love and more power to you. therese xxx
30th March 2014

Hi Therese good to hear from you, could do with some cold n showery weather lol! Melting! but seem to be coping with it not too bad. Drinking lots and lots of water with electrolytes! Having a great time.
24th March 2014

Hello
Hi May you sound as though you are having a fab time with all the animals there. I am sure after a few more days you will be on top of it. The mozzies would cause me a problem but I suppose that is another thing you would get used to. Your accommodation sounds fun but I am sure it will be comfortable and the locals friendly. Your temp will be a lot healthier than ours here we are still in winter outfits while you will be using plenty sun block. Great to hear from you and the start of your adventure I will follow your blog to see how you are and where you end up. Take care Elaine x
30th March 2014

Thanks Elaine, really am enjoying it, passing by so fast!
24th March 2014

Hi
Hi May - so great to hear from you. What a wonderful centre this sounds. Is it as you imagined it? You certainly have not bored with detail - keep it coming. I would like to be a blog follower but at the moment can't see how I subscribe. Good luck - and keep telling us what it is like so we can share in your fabulous journey. Blessings May! Love Isobel
30th March 2014

Thanks Isobel, having a great time, settling in now, can't believe I'm into my second week already.The center is a lot more than I expected, will be sharing all the details shortly. Hope your keeping well.
24th March 2014

Further to previous..
Not that complicated - I have subscribed!
25th March 2014

Hi Glad to hear that you are settling in although it does sound like a lot of hard work but worth it I'm sure. Maybe you can send some pictures as everyone is asking for you and wanting to know where you are and what you are doing so at least will have some information to pass along. Its the same old same old here bureau as busy as ever a few bits of sad news my Aunty Betty passed away two weeks ago and Alan Gibson's wife died suddenly of a brain hemourage so that was shocking. There was a very good turn out from the bureau which he appreciated at the funeral last Saturday. We are having a development day tomorrow so will see quite a number of the advisers and pass along your adventure so far. Good to hear from you and keep in touch. Anne
30th March 2014

Hi Anne I sent a card to Pauline, Nicole had told me about Betty must have made it all the harder for you. Shocked at the news of Alan's wife I can imagine he'll be devastated. Hope your keeping well too. Tell everyone I'm asking for them at the development day. Having a great time, can't believe I'm here! finally doing what I really want too, even if it's only for a wee while. Tell Samantha I'm asking for her.
25th March 2014

Keep up the good work.
Hi great to hear from you everyone has been asking what you are up to so will give an update. No snow here has been a very mild winter and we have not seen any snow at all other than some flurries. Last couple of days have been sunny but cold. You have won the bonus ball twice since you left :-)
30th March 2014

Having a ball
Buy some cakes for everyone off the winnings! could do with some myself just now. Don't work too hard!
28th March 2014

Oor May
Great to hear from you. Could not do what you are doing as I need en suite facilities. But it is obviously exactly what you want to do and I know the animals will love you. We all miss you but can now look forward to more blogs.
28th March 2014

Oor May
Great to hear from you. Could not do what you are doing as I need en suite facilities. But it is obviously exactly what you want to do and I know the animals will love you. We all miss you but can now look forward to more blogs.
29th March 2014

good work on creating a blog
good work on creating a blog Nanna from sinead
30th March 2014

Hi Sinead having a great time but missing you so much, love you xxxx see you in October xxxx
29th March 2014

good work on creating a blog
good work on creating a blog Nanna from sinead

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb