Dogg details


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
March 28th 2014
Published: March 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Having problems uploading photos but have a few people helping me out so hopefully I should have them uploaded soon. Had my first day off yesterday and went exploring the south of the island, absolutely gorgeous and as the guide book says a lot quieter too. Went for a swim and a walk, just a very relaxing day all round, dinner at a bar on the beach and sat and watched the incredible sunset. The staff at the center had organised a barbecue too. So many nice people, great bunch of volunteers from all walks of life and so many different countries mostly students lol, I'm the granny of the bunch.Getting to know my way around now and have even found a yoga class, on the beach close by!



Settling in too with the routine and becoming accustomed to the dogs. There are five Packs of dogs and they have to be kept separate. During the night most are in individual kennels but a few of them share. During the day they are moved into larger areas with plenty of shade and water where they can play and interact and each dog is walked at least once a day either by tourists or volunteers. The care and attention they receive is first class, a vet and nurse on hand every day, regular bathing and deticking! (a lot of ticks! ) yeuch! The dogs are rotated round the large pens three times a day to stop them becoming territorial and also to stop them becoming bored. So many different characters all with a story.

Bucchi a beautiful black, fluffy affectionate dog was found at the age of approx three months by a local, he was living in the jungle with his sister Kuro, both dogs were in a terrible state covered in fleas, ticks and sores with horrendous skin conditions. Both dogs as you can imagine would eat anything lying about and unfortunately Kuro managed to eat string and sadly passed away a few weeks ago.



Elvis was brought in by his owner, he was involved in a car accident and fractured his pelvis, unfortunately the owner never came back and Elvis now resides at the center. Such a lovely affectionate dog just waiting for someone else to come and rescue him.



Sandwich was found by a tourist who brought him in. he was
PoodlePoodlePoodle

This little dog was brought in for treatment, it had been bitten by a snake.
involved in a car accident too and lost one of his back legs He is a very playful affectionate dog and loves fuss and a good scratch behind the ears.

As I said at present there are thirty five resident dogs all waiting for homes. The center receives lots of tourist and have had many successful adoptions all over the world with the exception of Australia and New Zealand because of the quarantine laws. I though it would have been very expensive but turns out it is relatively cheap. They have re homed dogs and cats in Sweden, Germany, England and more and at present several of the dogs are in the process of being adopted. Two new puppies, Peanut butter and Jam were brought into the center only recently, just weeks old and requiring bottle fed, both found in separate locations. The tourist who found Jam is starting the adoption process to take him home but he will be at the center for seven months till he has all his vaccinations and fulfills the quarantine laws.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Local beachLocal beach
Local beach

Five minute walk!
Sunset Sunset
Sunset

From the mixing bar on the local beach
Feeding timeFeeding time
Feeding time

Little Jam


28th March 2014

Dog details
Sounds fantastic. Your day off - idyllic! So good those dogs are getting the care they need
31st March 2014

Lovely photos, May. I am glad you are settling in well. What inspired you to go and do this? Is it permanent or just for a while?
2nd April 2014

Six weeks
Hi Carol Will be here for six weeks . Have always wanted to work with animals and decided to go for it before I get any older lol! Will be visiting India too to do the same.

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb