Bangkok, Chiang Mai and other Thai delights


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
May 26th 2006
Published: June 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok is full of energy and excitement. We were dazzled by colorful, ornate temples and palaces. We found great museums, hair-raising tuk-tuk rides, and markets full of wonderful things to buy. Around almost every corner there were thai massages and food carts overflowing with yummy delights. We wandered around the streets and small alleyways, and got a drink at the tallest alfresco bar and restaurant in the world on top of the 60th floor of the Banyan Tree Hotel.

After a few days in Bangkok, we took an overnight train north to Chiang-Mai for more temple touring (there are over 100 in the town) , thai cooking class, monk chat (temples offer foreigners a chance to talk to monks with open sessions a few nights a week), and a taste of rural village life. Don also got some suits made at a tailor (what do you mean we have to go back to work!?)

After our trip through Laos (see earlier blog), we made our way off the tourist track to northeastern Thailand, where we were introduced to the outer boundaries of the Khmer Empire and several of its temples. Being some of the only white people in town,
Wat PoWat PoWat Po

While the stuppas (burial momuments) are beautiful - the Thai massage school in the back of the Wat was truly memorable!
we were a real novelty and were able (forced) to practice some of the language and meet more locals.
Walking around a park in the town of Phimai one day, a group of 5 Thai ladies waved us over to join their lunchtime picnic with a raised beer and the typical downward sweeping "come over here" gesture. Although they didn't speak any English and we only knew a couple of Thai words, we managed to use the phrasebook at the back of our guidebook to talk for a while. We found out their names and talked about the nice trees, ponds and other natural features around us. We learned that they "chawp" (like) "falang" (foreigners), especially men (like Don!). We told them we were on our honeymoon (they use the english word, too). We figured out how to tell them we were "mangsawirat" (vegetarian) when they offered us chicken (which has worked out surprisingly well at market food stalls since then that don't have a menu!). We didn't get much farther than that, but now we know "nit noi" (a little) Thai and made a few new friends, too.

Its time to leave Thailand for a few days again...this time to Siem Reap!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

GarudaGaruda
Garuda

Guarding the temple from evil spirits
Painting the lampostsPainting the lamposts
Painting the lamposts

Scaffolding in Thailand - I wonder how often they fall off?
King Rama IXKing Rama IX
King Rama IX

A highly revered king who is really a father figure for the country. His picture is found just about everywhere from tuk-tuks to street stalls. At a puppet show we saw, the natinal anthem was played while on the video screen a photo retrospective was playing showing the king in action.
Long Live the KingLong Live the King
Long Live the King

Bracelets for the 60th anniversary of the King's reign (worn by many)
Jim Thompson's HouseJim Thompson's House
Jim Thompson's House

Beautiful examples of traditional teak houses
All dressed up and ready to goAll dressed up and ready to go
All dressed up and ready to go

Don gets a few suits made
cooking classcooking class
cooking class

Thai food anyone?
White man in AsiaWhite man in Asia
White man in Asia

At the market
Monk with umbrellaMonk with umbrella
Monk with umbrella

Couldn't resist the photo
Thai picnicThai picnic
Thai picnic

These ladies kept the beer flowing amidst our butchering of the Thai language.
Friendly banker!Friendly banker!
Friendly banker!

After realizing I was interested in an umbrella - free with a new account - this bank manager took us out back to his car and handed over two spanking new umbrellas! Later in the day we got some odd looks. "What's the farang doing with that umbrella?"
Phenom RungPhenom Rung
Phenom Rung

Thai women posing with a young monk


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb