Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
May 26th 2006
Published: May 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The slow boatsThe slow boatsThe slow boats

We all had to squeeze onto one boat, even though there were many!
Our introduction to Laos was quite an adventure. We crossed the border from northern Thailand into Laos and signed up for the 2-day "slow" boat ride down the Mekong River to Luang Prabang. We decided against the one day speed boat trip because apparently there have been numerous fatalities. After seeing them fly by us, we understood why.

The slow boat ride was a " trip to remember" according to the Lonely Planet guide. I think we, along with the 100+ other tourists that were stuffed into the old, wooden longtail boat will certainly remember the trip. Inspite of the awkard wooden bench seats with hardly any legroom, little room to move around the boat because people and backpacks were piled into every available inch on the floor, and longer days than expected because of various stops along the way to pick up and drop off locals and miscellaneous goods, it was a beautiful trip. We wound our way through Laos on this 2-day jouney, passing through lush, tropical forests, muddy banks with bathing water buffalo, bamboo fishing poles and rigs, and many small villages looking down on the river from the steep banks above. Other than the occasional speedboat whizzing by (the speed boats are tiny wooden craft with a V8 engine hanging off the back - you can hear them coming a mile away), the trip was quite peaceful. It helped that there was a proper toilet on board.

After two long, cramped days (maybe we have been travelling too long - many people we met for some reason had no complaints about this same trip!), we were pleasantly greeted by the quaint, French Colonial town of Luang Prabang (a UNESCO World Heritage site), which immediately won us over with its many charms. We found friendly, happy people and couldn't get enough of the traditional Laos wrap skirt worn by just about every woman in town. Bicycles and motorbikes were the transportation of choice and people had no trouble riding around with as many friends, family, and goods as they could fit on the back. They always managed to look very proper doing it, carrying umbrellas for shade from the heat and sitting side-saddle on the backs because of their long skirts. We also found wonderful food (french cuisine, baguette stands, strong coffee, and sticky rice that you squeeze into a ball with your hand before dipping it into your main dish); lovely, ornate buddhist temples surrounded by rustic colonial buildings; and beautiful green, mountainous landscapes.

The rest of the Laos was not nearly as charming as Luang Prabang, but the beautiful landscape made up for that. We traveled around by bus through steep, windy roads that were hugged by clusterings of raised, bambood hut villages (that were always neat and orderly with people out sweeping every morning) and endless fields of rice paddies and water buffalo.

We stopped in the Plain of Jars, an area where stone funerary jars thousands of years old dot the landscape. The other interesting local attraction are remnants of the American war in Vietnam - which secretly took place in Laos as well. Thousands of unexploded bombs litter the country side, to this day maiming and killing children and farmers every year. The bomb craters are easily seen on the hillsides.


We are sad to leave beautiful Laos, but looking forward to more of Thailand and the beach.

"La kawn" Loas and "sok dii" (goodbye and good luck).


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Buddha CaveBuddha Cave
Buddha Cave

Caves litter the landscape in Laos, and many are filled with images of Buddha.
MotorbikeMotorbike
Motorbike

Typical motorbike ride included a passenger sitting side saddle on the back, holding an umbrella for shade
Rice CakesRice Cakes
Rice Cakes

Home made and sun dried
Moto rideMoto ride
Moto ride

Our friend Seng from the shop across the street from our hotel took us out of town to the factory where silks were dyed and woven into textiles for their store.
Morning alms ceremonyMorning alms ceremony
Morning alms ceremony

Every morning, at the sound of the drum, monks go out to collect food for the day. Local townspeople are sitting out on the sidewalk waiting for them.
Giving AlmsGiving Alms
Giving Alms

A handful of sticky rice is given to each monk
DonDon
Don

Malaria warnings


29th May 2006

Looks awesome!
Luang Prabang sounds really cool. What an awesome experience you guys are having. We're doing well - I'm about to go on avacation, Trav's researching some freelance writing stuff, and Zoë's working on crawling. She is a such a happy, fun baby. Stay safe and enjoy the beach!
31st May 2006

love the mosquito!
Hey you two...road weary yet...just got back from a Bison preserve in Texas (visiting grandparents)...Oliver is cutting teeth and likes riding in the backpack and pulling on my hair at full force...summer school starts next week and catching up on the paperwork and answering emails...luckily mountain weather here has been blissfully cool...will send snapshots soon (I know own a washboard so that I can wash Oliver's diapers at our campsites) Vanagon is working great and we are happily looking more and more like a family of hillbillies...we also have a great photo for Rebecca we will send off (has to do with Sharks!)...might get a job shooting a video about breastfeeding! How ironic...big hugs and kisses and take lots of pictures in India!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb