Loy Kratong


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
October 25th 2009
Published: November 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

October 25, 2009

Loy Krathong


Upon awaking from my nap at 4:30pm my roommate told me everyone was going to an early Loy Krathong celebration. Loy Krathong, is the celebration of the water goddess. I knew only that something regarding lanterns was involved. I stumbled out the door in a bit of a haze knowing I should not miss it but still feeling the effects of the previous night’s shenanigans. So we all piled in a Sing Tao, a taxi van of sorts and went off to the festival which was about 20 kilometers out of town.

Arriving we were a bit befuddled. There were people everywhere in this small village on the outskirts of town. The 18 or so of us or so stuck out like sore thumbs. I at 5’6” stood taller than almost everyone in the crowd but Adam at 6’3”could be spotted from afar. Making our way down by the river food stalls and lantern stands began to appear. We bought a few lanterns for the group and continued on. Fire crackers were going off in random locations, and lanterns began to be lit by the riverside. The lanterns are just some sort of rice paper assumedly with some form of flame retardant. The Flame is open. After lighting the large circular wick the lanterns begin to fill with carbon monoxide and soon it begins to lift. You hold it down till the last minute to insure it’s assent and then Woosh! Some lanterns shoot up, others teeter and float and they gracefully rise in the sky. Each person makes a wish and something about Buddha’s blessings and tells no one.

We had parked out by the river but noticed that the crowd seemed to be going in the other direction. Near a small Buddhist temple everyone had congregated. And then, the kickoff began. Thousands and thousands of lanterns began their assent. They floated elegantly through the sky looking like nothing I had ever seen. Somehow the experience was so ethereal my mind and body calmed. Every lantern was just a little different but all of them were so beautiful they took my breath away. As more and more continued upward it looked like a constellation had formed. Tiny specs in the sky lighting up in a great arc. Wishes floated into the sky. Over the loud speaker someone said in English, “If you want to know more about Buddhism, please contact us at our office and we will be happy to inform you.” I wondered if that was a weak attempt at proselytizing. All of us were ready to sign up there and then. The beauty and spirit behind what I had seen sticks with me. I left enchanted and at peace and wondering why the petty things in life consume us so much.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



8th November 2009

I am so happy you were able to experience this. It sounds like an amazing time, and one of those experiences once can never forget. Thank goodness you were awakened from your slumber :)
11th November 2009

safety first
"...assumedly with some form of flame retardant." Uh-huh. Welcome to Thailand!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb