Thailand feb 2006


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 28th 2006
Published: February 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I want to go back!

We have just returned from sunny and warm Thailand to cold, and snowy Norway, and we have allready started to talk about what more we want to do on our next Thailand trip 😊

We landed in Bangkok and there was our transfer guide waiting for us. What is stuck in my memory is her enthusiastic "Beautiful!" comment on anything we told her for that 1 hour transfer... and of course there was also two thumbs up every time she said "Beautiful" 😉

During our trip we had two stays in Bangkok, 1 in Sukhumvit area and 1 in Chao Praya River area.
They are very different, but have both a lot to offer a tourist.
Be sure to take a water taxi on Chao Praya River, cheap and easy way to get around.

From Bangkok we flew to Chiang Mai. We went to see/eat at Kantoke Palace, a nice experience.
We had an excursion to see the butterfly farm, go elephant riding and bamboo rafting.
There is plenty of different elephant camps, and combinations of excursions.
The bamboo rafting was very nice. We got to try to stear the raft ourselves.

The next day we had a transfer with a/c car to Tha Ton, were we had lunch. From there we wnt by longtail boat down Mae kok river to Chiang Rai. This was by far the best trip during our stay! It was so calm and relaxing trip to take, and also lovely nature scenery along the way. We also had several stops, one to a local hill tribe to see how they live and to a hot natural spring. The trip took aprox 2 - 2 1/2 hours to Chiang Rai. It is really worth it!

In Chiang Rai we had excursion to Burma, and Golden Triangle. The Opium museum was also interesting sight to see.

Next stop on our trip was Koh Samui. This favorite place to travel surprised us quite alot. The beaches are great, and also many nice hotels. The infrastructure on the other hand is lousy. A shower of rain and most streets are flooded. The power wires hanging thick and low in all streets.
But the outmost annoying thing, at least in Chaweng Beach, is the honking of the horn done by the taxi/bus drivers to get your attention... There is plenty of them and all of them honk their horn the minute they see you.
There is also 2 cars announcing today/next day Thai Boxing super match. This loud and annoyinc advertisement got really irritating after 1-2 days. They also drive in boat by the beach during the day..

So beware, if you want a quite stay - Chaweng Beach is not the place to be...

Our last days was spent in Singapore. International city with a big mix of people, cultures and religions.
We had a hotel on Orchard Road, but got to see so much as possible, including the harbour, Fullerton area, Merlion Park, Sentosa Island and several electronic stores... 😉

We also went to see Asian Aerospace 2006, airshow near Changi Airport. Exciting! The new Airbus A380 had a fly-by as well as F-15 and other fighter planes. A lot of people and sunny, hot, sticky weather...







Advertisement



1st March 2006

Totally understand
I read your blog and loved it. Who was your driver? Where did you get her? Thank you. Debbie

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb