CAMILLIAN Catholics where mom is today


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
August 25th 2008
Published: August 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

CAMILLIAN SOCIAL CENTER - SAMPHRAN
ST. CAMILLUS FORMATION HOUSE, THAILAND
Known throughout the world as Camillians, an Order founded by St. Camillus de Lellis in 1582 - caring for the sick as chaplains, counselors, nurses, doctors, psychologists, physical therapists, ethicists, health care administrators, and serving in all the fields of health care, medicine and rehabilitation.

We were welcomed into their lives and living space and felt at home right away. I have been home for almost 2 months and mom is still there.

This is where mom Words to describe these young men: AMAZING, GOOD-HEARTED, LOVING, COMPASSIONATE, CARING, GENTLE, KIND, GENEROUS, TENDER, THOUGHTFUL

Mostly we just reveled in the time shared with these fantastic young men who are studying and working so hard for so many years to get to the point where they can be ordained as priests. There are 7 postulants, 3 from Thailand and 4 from Vietnam, and 15 brothers (those who have made their first profession), most of them also from Vietnam. Because it is a communist country, the catholic orders are pretty restricted and have not been able to build a university for the necessary years of formation and studies in philosophy (4 years) and theology (3 years). I understand that there are currently 90 young men in the pipeline in Vietnam and about 4 of them filter through to Thailand each year to begin their postulancy here. Of course many of the 90 will probably drop out along the way but it is still a significant number of potential vocations.

This morning I got up at 5:30 to go to the Aged Center to see how the boys bathed the patients. When Wat showed up down stairs I was just having a cup of coffee and he motioned that he needed to go upstairs, when he returned his mother was with him. While I waited I saw some of the other boys heading over to the center. When they arrived I asked her about her daughter and she said she was still sleeping. We walked over together and when we entered the ward two of the brothers had men in the shower already. There were 3 men in chairs waiting their turn and some of the hospital staff were dressing and feeding some of the other patients. After watching for a few minutes it was apparent that there was a system in place and working well without much communication. Wat put on some gloves and got to work getting patients out of bed and into plastic chairs in line behind the others. Joseph was drying them as they got out of the shower, putting powder on them and then dressing them in yellow shirts. Friday and Sunday are both Yellow days in honor of the King.

Note from mom since I have been home. Each day finds me interacting more and more with the men (I always want to say boys) so I’m finally managing to stay just about a busy as I like. This is such a joyful community, a wonderful place for mutual sharing to take place. So thatʼs it. Sending love and hugs and gratitude.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Mom and I with the brothers and fathersMom and I with the brothers and fathers
Mom and I with the brothers and fathers

Everyone except the Postulants


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb