Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
April 11th 2008
Published: April 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 1: After a comfortable 9 hour flight, and a teary farewell, we arrived in Bangkok and headed to out Hostel
Bangkok Cozy Place. And Crashed...
Day 2: Up and at 'em bright and early headed out for breakky sticking to our rule from China that smaller and simplier the better the food we sat down to pork and rice. Then we jumped on a public bus and headed for the Grand Palace. We stopped at park to watch the Thai Cliffy Young shuffle as some of the locals went about their morning run?!?! And an out door gym fit with mirrors, bikes and bench presses!
Then to the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew (Temple of Emerald Budda), decked out (and sweltering) in pants and shirts as according to the very strict dress code we had a English speaking tour guide "the captain" explained the many statues, temples and stories....
Passed through the museum for half an hour of air conditioned comfort and the grabbed some street tucker for lunch, Jez's curry was just a bit too hot with just a bit too much gizzards .
Next stop Wat Pho, another temple with a big golden budda lying down (46m long and 15 m high).
Wat Pho being the home of the Thai Traditional Massage School we treated ourselves to an hour traditional Thai massage, and pure pay back for all the pain I ever put my patients through!!! (pain is good...)
Stopped to try out some local brews and watch the happenings of Kao san Road the heart of the backpacker area.
Dinner at a little street stall green prawn curry and thai squid and back to our cozy inn (early!)

Day 3: Still adjusting to the time difference we were up early soon to realise everything takes a while to get going in the morning. We dropped our UK bag to a storage place and grabbed some fresh juice for breakky.
We checked out of our quiet Cozy Place and headed closer to the action to Kao San Road Grand Palace.
Some street pad thai for lunch and a dip in our roof top pool! ( Don't want to even think about testing that water from the Pool Shop days, my head definitely wasn't going under!)
Next we walked down to the river in attempt to find a restaurant from the Lonely planet that doesn't exist any
Pink FlamingoPink FlamingoPink Flamingo

"nice legs"
more, fortunately we got a tip from barman along the river to "Take at sit" and beautiful had curry crab, spicy fried pork and panang chicken! Back down to Kao San Road for a cocktail and great cover band from the Roof bar.

Day 4: We checked out of Grand Palace, Thai omlette and rice and juice for brekky. Put ourselves in the hands of the Tuk Tuk driver. For a cheaper fare we agreed for a "quick stop" at a tailors apparently our first effort was too quick so we played the game the second only to leave the poor tailor with the impression we'd be back when we return to Bangkok. We landed at the Dusit Zoo, watch African boys and Elephant show and saw the only male albino barking deer in the world!!



Next to Dusit Palace Park and the 1868 Vinanmek Teak Mansion (the Kings definitely didn't do things in halves 81 rooms!) not realising shorts weren't allow we were donned up in some fantastic hire gear unfortunately no pics allowed! And to the Royal Elephant museum.



Headed to Siam Square for dinner right in the centre of the city for soup!
Then we endured a long 10 hour bus trip to Chang Mai, where somehow our expensive VIP seats which were the only one's left ended up back row with 3 other people?!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Vinanmek Teak MansionVinanmek Teak Mansion
Vinanmek Teak Mansion

"No photo's" Opps


16th April 2008

Enjoy Thailand...
Hi Guys! WOW - a bit of a change from good old Victoria huh? Bangkok and Thailand are amazing places - hope you have a blast! Travel safely Bruce www.pocketangels.com

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb