Island Hopping


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
January 2nd 2007
Published: March 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Over looking Phi Phi IslandOver looking Phi Phi IslandOver looking Phi Phi Island

What an awesome view! Taken from the view point at the top of the mountain.
Koh Lanta.
On the 2nd of Jan we continued our trip to the Island of Koh Lanta. I have been to Koh Lanta before a few years back and at the time it was very quiet. I was curious to see if this had changed. It hadn't, it was still the same, just as peaceful as before. We spent three nights here, it's a nice place to see and has some excellent beaches tucked away, but we felt three nights would be plenty time enough. On our second day we rented motorbikes and headed out early, well earylish, for a days exploring. I'm glad we did this as we got to see most of Koh Lanta, travelling along the deserted roads through the various small fishing villages rather than just the normal beach strip on the west coast where the majority of accommodation lies. On our journey we came across a small restaurant located on view point looking out for miles. The next morning before we had to give the bikes back about 11am, but we made sure we did get up early this time and headed back there for some breakfast beforehand- the views were well worth the ride out.

Ko Phi Phi
On the fourth morning we caught the first boat to Ko Phi Phi. I came here once before the Tsunami and was so drawn to the place that I have looked forward to going back ever since! To me it's somehow different from any other island I've have been to before. People arrive on Phi Phi and end up staying for much longer than they ever planed. There seems to be a real community spirit about the place and I think the Tsunami has actually made this stronger. Yeah the place looks different, it was obvious to me that it was going to. One of the main differences being the absence of trees that used to line the beaches on Ton Sai, the main village on the island. However restoration work is going on all around and people seem positive about getting Phi Phi to its forma glory of how is was before.
We stayed on Phi Phi for 6 nights in the end, and didn't really want to leave. Because it's so small and there are no roads, everyone walks everywhere and after a few days you start to see the same faces around. By
The wild wild westThe wild wild westThe wild wild west

This small fishing village on Lanta, had a strange wild west feel to it. This feeling was only highlighted further by both of us crusing through slowly on our motorbikes!
the time we left, we felt like locals, casually saying hello to people we had meet during our time there.
We stayed in two different places in Phi Phi, this mainly being because we had to be flexible with available dates when we made the booking in Ao Nang the week before. Pretty much had to take what was avalible in our price range at that time. The first place called Tropical Gardens was set out on the edge of the village in the hills. Upon arrival we made the trek with our bags to try and find the place. After the best part of 20 mins walking we were relieved to find that we were actually going the right way, based the very basic map we had! Upon arrival we discovered that, if we of called ahead, someone would have come down to the pier to meet us with a huge barrow they use to cart the bags around. This was well noted for when we checked out! Although the accommodation was basic, I would recommend it for any travellers staying on Phi Phi. There are a hand full of small bungalows set in amongst the trees, all with
Yep, I could definately stay here all day!Yep, I could definately stay here all day!Yep, I could definately stay here all day!

The chrystal clear waters of the hidden lagoon on Phi Phi Ley.
their own hammock on the porch, there's even a small pool there, which is unusual for the budget accommodation on the island.
Our days on Phi Phi seemed to fly by, and although we were there for six nights, neither of us really felt ready to leave by the end of it.

Phuket
We caught the early boat from Phi Phi on what would have effectively been the 7th day there. I say early but I think it was about 9am, so nothing too strenuous, especially as the place we had stayed in the previous two nights was right next to the pier in the centre of the village.
Upon arriving at Phuket we were met by our mate from the UK, Simon Johnson. Sie has been travelling round Aisa since October 06, and has based himself in Phuket for quite a while as he met his girlfriend that lives there. As she has a car, (which Sie seems to have constant use of) he came to pick us up. So all in all, moving that day was a fairly easy task!

We caught up with Sie in the afternoon and then had a look about the place we were staying. There are three main beach areas in Phuket. These are Kata, Karen and Patong. Our plan was to stay in Kata for three nights, and Patong for another three. On the first night Rob became ill with some sort of fever, so we headed back to the hotel early after eating dinner. The following morning he had got worse. He made it out for a little bit, but was back in bed by about midday where he didn't leave untill we checked out a couple of days later. He sure got his money's worth from that hotel room!

In the time Rob was Ill, I spent a day out with Sie and his girlfriend, Serinia. We visited the main temple in Phuket, and in the afternoon went up to a waterfall, and saw lots of monkeys. It seemed much busier everywhere we went that day and then I found out later that it was National Kids day. Just like we have Mothers and Fathers day, in Thailand they also have kids day. Shame they hadn't adopted that idea in England when I was younger!!

Not really a great deal to say about the last days
Views at Breakfast on Koh LantaViews at Breakfast on Koh LantaViews at Breakfast on Koh Lanta

Definately worth rising early and riding out to !
stay in Kata beach. Rob was ill in bed, so I spent most of the day chilling on the beach, and then when it started to rain I went back to the room to watch a film. What an exciting day it was!
Moving to Patong beach was easy, it was only 15 mins drive and Sie came to pick us up, for which we were grateful as Rob wasn't too mobile.
Later in the afternoon we picked up our mate Ben Holland from the Phuket airport. Ben and another friend from the UK, Carl Miller were coming out to meet us for a two week holiday. Carl was due to fly in a couple of days later, when we were back on Samui.

It was good to see Ben and also good to see someones first time reaction to Thailand after arriving from England. We all thought it greatly amusing when one of the many pick up trucks piled full of people past us on the way back from the airport. We didn't even batter an eye, being such a common sight, to which been asked in astonishment, "did you guys just see that"?!!
Rob had been feeling
Chilling out at Tropical Garens Chilling out at Tropical Garens Chilling out at Tropical Garens

Rob spent most of his time in the hammock whilst back at the room!
better that day, but it came back to haunt him later in the evening after getting back form the airport. A lovely welcome for holiday maker Ben to see Rob with his head stuck down the loo as soon he stepped into the hotel room!
The next morning he went to the doctors. It turned out the fever was caused by dehydration, so at least he know he would be okay. He was told re-hydration drinks and a couple of days rest and he should be up and about again. As a result it was left down to Ben a I to check out the sights of Patong over the next couple of days. It's a crazy, mad place and good to see, but to be honest, I can't say I'd be queueing up to go back. Its heavily commercialised and touristy, and largely based around the typical package holiday theme.

As I can understand anyone wanting to do after travelling half way around the world, Ben was keen to visit Phi Phi and the non inhabited inland of Phi Phi Ley where the film "the beach" was shot. Rob and I had already done a similar day trip
The hill side poolThe hill side poolThe hill side pool

This pool at Tropical Gardens may look just like a muddy pit, but was actually fairly nice. Can't imangine you'll see many other budget places with a pool on Phi Phi!
the week before from Phi Phi and I had really enjoyed it. I guess the only thing that had slightly spoilt the day was forgetting to pack the camera. I realised this literally as I walked the plank onto the boat in the morning. It was slightly frustrating to watch the rest of the people on the trip, snapping happily at any given opportunity. So as Ben didn't want to go alone I had no problems going back with him for one last look at Phi Phi, this time remembering the camera of course!

On our last night in Patong we all went out for a meal in town, and then said our goodbyes to Sie and his girlfriend. It was due to be another one of those early starts for the move onwards in the morning. Fast becoming an all to common occurance.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

And work goes onAnd work goes on
And work goes on

Restoration work on Phi Phi is still on going, in order to bring it back to how it was before.
Well if it isn't  old Mr Johnson!Well if it isn't  old Mr Johnson!
Well if it isn't old Mr Johnson!

For those of you back at home that know Sie Johnson, you can be forgiven for thinking, as we did, that he was sitting on the Beach next to us in Phi Phi. He wasn't. But hell, we sure had to double take to be certain. Uncanny!!


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb