Adventures with Clare on the Gulf Coast


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 5th 2007
Published: March 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Chumphon

So Clare and I leave very early to make our way to Southern Thailand - our first stop being Chumphon. We thought it sounded OK and would cut up the travel for us to go to Ko Tao.
Anyway longish bus journey about 6 hours (where Clare was lucky enough to see first hand the joys that are squat toilets…..). Anyway the bus drops us off in Chumphon - a little bit worried as the bus is packed and we are the only one’s that get off. We expect a bit of a busy place, but the place seems deserted…. We eventually find a bar somewhere that we thought we could ask for directions - except they speak no English. So with the bible (Lonely Planet) we try to ask in Thai where a hotel is - didn’t seem to work, so used manic hand gesturing instead. In the end we got a beer, and an offer to take us via motor bike to the hotel - which we decided to decline - after never being on motorbike before and especially with a massive rucksack. In the end we manage to get a lift via a pick up truck to a guest house. Not much to go in Chumphon so spent the day drinking and playing - so I guess not too bad.

Ko Tao

Early in the morning we get the ferry to Ko Tao - Clare had spent ages looking in the book at somewhere to stop, while I kept reading my fiction book. In the end I had a quick look in the book pointed to place and Clare agreed.

And was I lucky or what, it was fantastic, like our very own paradise…. The place was called Freedom beach in Hat Tao Toh. It was stunning - with a nice little bungalow - where you could lye in bed and look at to the ocean, and no one really used the beach apart from the few people in the bungalow. So we spent a few wonderful days here, snorkeling during the day and a few cocktails in the evening….. bliss!! After a longish conversation about how much we could really fit in for Clare we decided to make our way to Ko Pha-ngan.

Ko Pha-ngan

Ko Pha-ngan was lovely again, it wasn’t during the period of the full moon parties so wasn’t packed. Again seemed to be really fluckey when choosing a place to stay - and made our way to Baan Panburi in Ao Thong Nai Pan Noi. We were here for about 3 days again, and it was lovely and relaxing! Lot’s of beach time, chilling out etc…. One of the highlights was on valentines day where Clare (people are really going to start thinking we are a couple) got us tickets to go Elephant Trekking. Good fun, although slightly scary when you first get on the Elephant - you got to spend an hour on the elephant wondering around the jungle. After that we went for a nice BBQ, then went to beach party up the beach. By this time a lot of cocktails were had, Clare managed to fall down a hole on the beach, so it we decided it would be worthwhile just to stare up at the stars. Also had a very weird incident with a neighbour...

The Journey From Hell

After a lot of talk about how we would travel back up to Bangkok, we decided on the middle price option. Only everything seemed to go wrong - the taxi was 45 mins late to take us to our ferry - which meant we missed our boat. Our taxi driver said ‘No Problem’ we could get another ferry to Sunat Thani which meant we could make our flight. Lets just say the day was bizarre…. We had hours to wait until the next ferry so we seemed to spend it baby sitting a 3 year old Thai boy, the ferry was then late, but not to mind the plane was then late. In the end we got to Bangkok and decided to make our way to the Bus Terminal to make our way to Kanchanaburi. The bus terminal was mad, after waiting about an hour for our bus, they told us they were running late and it would be another 2 hours. At this point Clare and I had had enough - we had been on the go for about 16 hours - involving pick up trucks, boats, coaches, planes, taxi’s - we got in the nearest taxi and said take us to a nice hotel…. And here we spent the next 3 days!!! The hotel was great with a pool - where Clare and me spent most of the time pratting around, doing handstands etc - not a good idea in hindsight I managed to chip my tooth and Clare got a bad back…..

We also went around one of the huge markets - lot's of bargains! Clare bought some bits, but I was really good - partly because I didn't want to carry anymore around in my ruck sack (after giving some bits to my Dad - Ok a lot, and also to Clare - I've got it down to 14 KG - at one point it was double that).

On a night out we went out to Calypso Caberet - a drag show really - but the lady boys were stunning!! Then went to a fortune teller (pretty good) apparently I am going to have a love interest next year with either a tall man or an older man (so a little vague....)

On our final day together was fun, went bowling, and then this karoke thing. They should have them at home - you basically have a sound proofed room (thank goodness) with a karoke machine etc for an hour. I know i have an awful voice but I love karoke so perfect - I think our rendition of Dancing Queen was good - but I Will Always Love You - was bad!!!

Anyway after a sad goodbye to Clare at the airport I flew to Phucket.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0895s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb