Despite the fear, Mel walked on 'The Bridge'


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
July 24th 2006
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 14.02, 99.53

Day started incredibly early – wake up call at 6.30 (mind you, I have previously been waking at 6am but also going to bed earlier). Mel didn't want a swim so I ran down, jumped in pool for 5minute swim, pool-side shower then back to room. Mel got out of bed. We finished last bit of packing (nighties, clock, Jessica, toiletries), got cold items out of fridge/freezer and placed bags outside door. I left my backpack for the bus in mum and dad's room and I checked out. We all ate breaky. We had probably 60 minute, but still found I was rushing to eat!! Mel and I walked around the hotel taking last minute photos of the hotel grounds.

We all got onto bus and farewelled Cha-Am. We drove for 3 hours, stopping once for toilets. I had to take a photo of the toilet – it was a squat toilet and self flushing!! (Self being me using a bucket of water!!)

We finally arrived at the bridge on the River Kwai. It was very warm. Mel did, then didn't ,then did, then didn't, want to cross the bridge. Holding my hand, she managed to walk 1/3 way across – incredibly good effort since she is scared of bridges and it wasn't a fully covered bridge. She walked on the middle part that was solid steel (with big bolts that she tripped over once or twice) but, where I was walking was on the outer edge of tracks, you could see what was below very clearly. I must admit I wasn't 100%!c(MISSING)onfident walking there – it was wood – as thick as fence paling's, nailed down but occasionally lifting with gaps either side. Along the bridge there were 'viewing stations' where you could take photos or stand when a train was coming – we got to the third of these viewing stations. It is not a very secure feeling when you had to pass people walking the other way.

Internationally famous, thanks the several motion pictures and books, the black iron bridge was brought from Java by the Japanese supervision by Allied prisoner-of-war labour as part of the Death Railway linking Thailand with Burma. Still in use today, the bridge was the target of frequent Allied bombing raids during World War II and was rebuild after war ended. The curved spans of the bridge are the original sections. A daily train is still following the historical route from Kanchanaburi to Nam Tok Railway Station.

Made it off the bridge safely and headed for lunch. Set menu. Soup, rice, mixed veggies, omelettes, glass noodles and?? After we finished eating, I was fishing through the veggies (Mel wanted more cauliflower) when I came across a very well cooked fly. - Mel didn't eat any more!!!

We headed to the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery. It contains the remains of 6,982 Australian, Dutch and British war prisoners who lost their lives during the construction of the Death Railway. It was very well kept, the lawns beautifully green and well-mown. Walking around, looking at the head stones was very sad – looking at the ages of the soldiers. So many of them were 17 and 18 years old – their lives had not yet begun. When you look at the huge area filled with tomb stones, then realise that this is just one of many many cemeteries, it makes you start to comprehend the amount of people lost in the war.

Back on bus and up to 'Hellfire Pass' – where the P.O.W. cut through solid rock to make way for a train line. We walked down many
many very steep steps to the jungle floor and then along until we got to hellfire pass. Just amazing what these men managed to do. The cutting was so deep. It was an eerie feeling knowing what had happened there.

"In 1943 thousands of Allied Prisoners of War and Asian labourers worked on the Death Railway under the imperial Japanese army in order to construct part of the 415 km long Burma-Thailand railway. Most of these men were Australians, Dutch and British. All the heavy work was done manually either by hand or by elephant as earth moving equipment was not available. The prisoners lived in squalor with a near starvation diet. They were subjected to captor brutality and thus thousands perished. The men worked from dawn until after dark and often had to trudge many kilometres through the jungle to return to base camp. For every sleeper laid it cost one human life - 120,000 sleepers where laid."

By the time we walked back via a different but equally as long trail, I was very red-faced and had 'jelly legs' due to all the steps we had to ascend and descend to get there and back. Melissa and I
had a quick look through the museum.

“The modern Museum at Hellfire Pass was built by the Office of Australian War Graves in a joint venture between the Australian Government and the Royal Thai Armed Forces Development Command and opened on 24 Apr 1998. It has about 200 Metre sq. of exhibition area. The Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum is under the management of the Office of Australian War Graves. Apart from displaying exhibits in a modern air conditioned setting, the Museum also has a theatre which shows a short seven minute video made from war footage of the construction of the railway and dialogue from a number of Australian ex-POWs."

Unfortunately we didn't have much time to look here as the walk took so long. We did get to watch the 7 minute movie.

Back to bus

TIGERS

We went and saw the tigers that are looked after by the monks. We both went and had our photos taken with 3 or 4 tigers. Unbelievable. Mind you – it was almost like patting cuddly toys. They hardly moved. A guide held your hand and guided you to various spots. Sit. Look this way. Stand here...... whilst another guide quickly took photos using my
camera . She did take lots of photos at least. We were last group there so got to watch the tigers being led away for the night. The last tiger we walked up with and were able to get photos of it with us. A monk led the tiger and a women where told us not to touch the monk. Is forbidden!! Also got to see the wild animals that live in the compound being fed. A ute came along with pumpkins. Workers on back would smash pumpkins onto the ground, hopefully splitting them open. The animals then came to feed. Heaps and heaps of wild pigs (all sizes and shapes – mostly dark brown – piglets had stripes along sides) not-so-wild horses, cows, deer's and birds. We stood along roadside watching as these animals fed. Unfortunately one of the animals pushed passed Helen who knocked Pa flying into my arms, standing on my foot in the process. I stepped back into Mel. Luckily all OK.

Back and bus and to hotel. The 'Felix River Kwai Resort' in Kanchanaburi. It was a welcome sight, until we saw the size of it. Unbelievably huge. We got key and found our room - M255. This is a resort not a hotel.

Seems silly though to book us into this place for 16 hours. No time to explore and appreciate facilities.

Changed and went to pool for a cleansing, cooling swim. Amazingly large pool with an island in the centre, basketball hoops and a bar!!

By the time we got out, showered, back to room and dressed it was 8pm and both Mel and I were getting grumpy. Helen had decided to dine with us!! Mel knocked on her door at appointed time to get an 'I'll be two minutes'. 10 minutes later, Dad and I were getting very frustrated!! Finally the lippy was applied perfectly and off we went to the hotel restaurant. It was too far to travel to town for a meal as the closest bridge that cars can use is quite far and crossing the bridge in the dark is a bit dangerous – and Mel wouldn't have made it there and back!!

A buffet for 2 was BHT800. We were used to eating buffet style for 4 people for under BHT500!! 3 bottles of water were BHT50 (50 / 3 =??? definitely not an even number that's for sure). The menu was not very kid-friendly – Mel ended up with Chicken Soup (from a can) and French Fries. I had sweet & sour pork and rice. I got chocolate and white mousse for dessert. The fake cream was very white and the chocolate decoration very 'chocolate' but the mousse itself was tan in colour?? Name doesn't always describe a dish!! Pa asked for a toasted club sandwich as per the menu – he got untoasted cold sandwiches and sent them back. Mum was embarrassed as he was very rude when he complained! He only said 'no. wrong. Give me menu' and pointed out the description which said 'toasted'. As he said this is meant to be a '4 star resort', they should be able to do better!!' Mel had chocolate ice-cream.

Back to room by 10ish. Mel straight to bed. I wrote this then bed at 11.15.

*Left arm very sore at the moment - strained from boat ride. I did twice fall 'off' and had to use my left hand to pull myself back on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 79, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb