Song Kran in Kanchanburri Province


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
April 17th 2006
Published: April 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A bridge over the river kwaiA bridge over the river kwaiA bridge over the river kwai

This was the second of two bridge built by POWs during WWII, the first of wood (which is gone) and this one made of prefabricated steel. The pylons and the ends of the bridge are orginal. American bombers destroyed the center span that has since been reconstructed.
My family and I visited the bridge over the river Kwai. Only the second bridge (made of prefabricated steel) built by Allied POWs during WWII remains. The original wood bridge was destroyed by British bombers and the steel one was partially destroyed by American bombers. The entire railway was built by POWs and other forced labor. A national cementary finaced by many of the allied countries is in the middle of town and includes mostly British and Australian soldiers.

It was a strange day at the cemetary. It was empty, quiet, and serene within the fence but the streets around it were full of trucks with people celebrating Song Kran/Thai New Year. This is basically a huge moving waterfight and everyone gets soaked. Music was blaring from the trucks and there was plenty of dancing. I thought I missed the festivities as the New Year falls on April 13 but the Kanchanburi Province always observes in on the 17th. I am glad I got to see it. It seems like a great holiday that we should import to the US.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Kids playing in the water next to the bridgeKids playing in the water next to the bridge
Kids playing in the water next to the bridge

I was very envious of these kids cooling off in the water
PowderedPowdered
Powdered

The other part of the water festivities was talcum powder mixed with water smeared over passing cars and people. I got some on my face but you could barely tell.
Song Kran from a truckSong Kran from a truck
Song Kran from a truck

These pick up trucks were all over the places packed with people and a barrel of water. Anyone who got near them got wet.


Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 18; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb