Tigers and Elephants


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
March 7th 2006
Published: March 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our next stop out of Bangkok was a town about 2 hours west called Kanchanaburi. Before coming here we were all pretty excited, and whilst there it definitly didn't disapoint.
We got to the hostel, which was easily the nicest hostel we've stayed at, as it was right on the side of the River Kwai, it was also the cheapest.
About two hours later we were on our way to the Tiger Temple, and this place was incredible!
About ten years ago a small orphaned tiger was taken here to be looked after the monks here, and from then on lots more tigers have also been brought here to be looked after by the monks.
There are currently 12 fully grown tigers living here with monks, staying in a disused quarry, and there also about four baby tigers. For most of the afternoon you're able to walk around the quarry with a guide stroking the tigers and having you're photo taken with them, then at the end of the day you can walk with them back up to where they spend the night.
The next day we did a tour around most of the other sites around Kanchanaburi. First stop was the Erawan waterfalls. When we were dropped off by the bus we were just told to be back at the bus in about three hours, and we were left to explore the waterfalls as we wanted. There are 7 tiers of waterfall here, spread along a 2.2km path. The first one we headed to was the 7th, and when we got there we had it almost all to ourselves, as there were only about 4 other people there. After swimming for a bit in the pools below the falls we headed back down, stopping to swim in some of them, and at the fouth tier you can use the waterfall as a slide.
Our next stop was to go elephant riding for about 45 minutes which waas amazing, and there was also a baby elephant there doing little tricks with a hoop.
We next went bamboo rafting down the River Kwai, although most of the time was spent floating down the rapids nowhere near the raft. We finished it off with a ride on the Death Railway, which was the railway built in WWII by the P.O.W's. Because it was a busy train the only place left to sit was in the doorway and dangling your feet out the side of the train. In my opinion this was the best place to ride the train, especially when theres a drop of about 4o feet to the river below. That night we went out to a bar in town with the slogan "Get shitfaced for next to nothing".
The next morning we got up at 3p.m
For a change we're now back on Khao San Road for a few hours, before we get a bus and start heading South.
Hope everyones well
xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



11th March 2006

hey!
heya will! im on the blog :) !! basically the emails went into my junk but i found them so i can now follow u on ur journey! looks like fun :) i see your growing your hair again!!! sofi xxxxxxxxxx
11th March 2006

craazy!
You are craazy to touch the tiger! this looks the best part of your trip to date...but death railway....doesn't the name put you off?? have a nice time even more! nice piccies! love emxx
11th March 2006

wow!
fantastic pictures will! can't believe youve actually stroked tigers! you wouldn't get away with that at marwell! sounds like you had a good time at the 'bar'! love mum xx

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1084s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb