The calm of Kanchanaburi - Beautiful!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
October 24th 2007
Published: October 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wow - how peaceful is it to get out of Bangkok. We got a nice air conditioned bus from Bangkok, west, to Kanchanaburi. It took about 2 hours and Nikki slept like a baby all the way!

We stayed at a guesthouse called Apple Guesthouse which is just beautiful - nice little bungalow with just a fan for company and a cold shower which is all you need in this heat. The food at the guesthouse was amazing and attracted a lot of travellers who are staying in Kanchanaburi - Nik now loves Red Thai Curry although she can only have 1 star of heat!

Its been sooo crazy here as there is so much to do in such little time. We started at the Tiger Temple in the afternoon that we arrived(sunday). It sucked! It was basically a giant tourist trap where you paid a lot of money to queue up and pat a bored looking tiger. Nik wanted to let them off their leash but decided it might upset the monks!

Monday was a much better day. We decided to head out to Hellfire Pass. This is where, during the 2nd World War, POW's and Asian labourers were forced to build a railway line for Janpanese linking Thailand and Burma. Hellfire Pass is where the Allied troops were forced to cut a huge pass through the hillside by hand using basic tools. There is now a museum and memorial there that the Australian Government have helped to set up in memory of the 16,000 allied POW's who died whilst building it as well as the 100,000 forced Asian labourers who died.

Instead of signing up for a tour, we decided to make our own way there using public transport. The buses here are fab - as long as you mind the holes in the floor and sit near a fan or open window!

On Tuesday we had another brilliant day. We headed out to Erawan National Park to Erawans 7 tiered Waterfalls - they were completely breathtaking. It was a 2.2km trek to the highest waterfall. The first km there was a nice path to follow and after that it got a bit more off-road. After climbing over rocks and trees we reached the 7th tier and went for a swim in the pool where we were attacked by little fish! Luckily because we went independently, we avoided the big groups of westerners and there were only a handful of local Thais there.

Today we checked out of Apple and walked down to The Bridge Over The River Kwai which was interesting to see. This afternoon we are going to catch the bus back to Bangkok where we have the Sleeper Train booked overnight up to Chiang Mai.

Good to see Pompey still on a roll!!!

Love you all

Craig & Nik x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



24th October 2007

Monkey Sign
Loved your photos. . . especially the Monkey Sign!
26th October 2007

tigers and snappers
God how scarry you could have been mulled by that tiger or eaten by piranahs!!! It looks amaZing where youve been..great to read and see pickies of you both along the way!! Weve just been to see Elijah...ahhh so sweet!! Take care guys lots of love T,C and S xx
1st November 2007

hot you say?
how funny is the page you have to sign to agree not to sue if they eat you? ha ha very jealous, keep enjoying....have you fallen out yet coz of the sweat?! hee hee milo is not sure bout th big cats he thought he liked cats but those are a bit orange! not set a date yet but prob end oct/nov! xxxx

Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb