Bridge over the River Kwai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
August 19th 2005
Published: August 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Bridge over the River Kwai

Death Railway Museum

Chungkai Cemetery



I can't write down everything I'd want to talk about with you on these areas.

War is an important part of history that we need to know as much as we can about, and as people in all countries believe, with knowledge maybe we won't make the same mistakes twice.

For information on WW2, there is a wealth of information in many places. The internet isn't bad. Just one example of a pretty good site, that isn't only about guided tours, is

http://www.hellfirepass.com/index.htm


It has a lot about Hellfire Pass, the death railway, the bridge, numbers of the dead, and lots more. If you are one of the Australians reading this, you'll (hopefully) know Weary Dunlop (the guy with the donkey if that prompts anyone). There is a little on Weary Dunlop on this site... there is a Weary Dunlop museum up the road.

I have just come from Changi Prison and POW camp, and before that, from the Battle Box at Fort Canning. This is where some of the men were brought to from Singapore, and died - the
One of many wreaths laidOne of many wreaths laidOne of many wreaths laid

At Chungkai Cemetery
Death Railway.

There is much that can be said, but one of the main things is that:

"For every sleeper laid it cost one human life. 120,000 sleepers were laid."
(from the website above).

Some were even killed by the allied forces. When the Japanese heard of the planes coming, they lined the POWs along the bridge, and told them to wave at the planes. The planes still had to bomb. Getting supplies is an integral part of winning or losing a war, and the bridge would help the Japanese not have to rely on supplies from the sea. This is what I have read, and I'm not going to say anything else about what I think about that.

Also from the site above -- the number of forced labourers, and the dead. Note the number of Asians and locals.... Note the number of Koreans (Plus Japanese themselves) that were also forced to work at this site.... There is such a large death toll and incredible suffering of survivors, including the British, Dutch, Australians and Americans also.


* Asian Laborers 200,000 +/- 80,000
* British POW's 30,000 6,540
* Dutch POW's 18,000 2,830

* Australian POW's 13,000 2,710
* American POW's 700 +/- 356
* Korean/Japanese soldiers 15,000 1,000


The American POW's remains have all been moved, but the rest linger, in at least 3 cemeterys I think, the largest of them which I visited to pay my respects - the Chungkai cemetery. I walked past one after the other of these British gravestones in particular...... It's something you can't write about in some travel blog on the internet.

I have a few photos there too, to remember the lovely memorial wreaths, statues, plaques and gravestones of those that suffered and died in a situation many of us could not even imagine. I think of the survivors..... many live to remember this time every day. I send them my love.

Peace to all,
Rachael


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

A bomb that hit the bridgeA bomb that hit the bridge
A bomb that hit the bridge

At the museum. I also saw some debris still remaining, when I looked over the edge.
Rach - River KwaiRach - River Kwai
Rach - River Kwai

An otherwise lovely place to visit


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb