2nd post


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
August 1st 2005
Published: August 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

HikingHikingHiking

Conrad on the Trail to Hell
its been a while since my first post.
so i'll start where i left off.
after we arrived in chiang mai we went and saw a few of the watts and the night bazaar.
shortley after that (about 2 or 3 days) we decided to go on a brisk 3 day 2 night trek. very brisk indeed.
the first day was absolute HELL. it was particularily hot that day the only break was for about an hour and a half of extremely heavy rain (in which we continued to trek through, naturally.) the paths were near strait up and a stream of muddy water almost to your knees was rushing down the mountain. and about 3 hours into the trek (the rain still persisting) i lost my footing and went over the side of a cliff. luckily i had managed to grab a handful of a thorn bush. and as i was hanging there a thought occured to me. WHAT THE HELL AM I DOUNG ON THE SIDE OF A MOUNTAIN IN POURING RAIN HANGING ON FOR DEAR LIFE!?
i looked down and all i could see was trees. although i managed to pull myself up the hike was far from over. the next 2 hours seemed like some sort of uphill jungle death march. covered in mud and thorns and blood from head to toe until i arrived at the hill tribe encampment.
it was an uneventful night in which i layed on my bamboo mat drifting in and out of comatose. the next day we decided to skip the 3rd day and join a different tour which ended up to be us a korean man and our guide. the secound day started in a corn field (where else, right?)
the hike was all down hill. did i mention it rained all night? so the paths were mud, of course, and to make matters worse i was sick (bad watermelon) about an hour into the hike i was falling (not a grammatical error) my way down the path when i took a particularily hard fall, and of course i landed on a small bamboo shoot which i thought impaled me, but wait, it gets better. i also bent both my legs back so far they nearlly were broken. but i did rip some muscles in my left knee.after that we arrived at a water fall in which my sickness worsened. we only stayed about ten minutes in which time i emptied my stomach contents on the sand and proceeded down the trail in the sweltering heat.
river crossings were up next, about 25 of them. wether jumping across rocks (rocks that i caught my ankle in and fell) or traversing logs. we finally arrived at our destination after that. an elephant camp. so we rode on elephants for an hour which was pretty fun, plus i got to rest my legs ( i had trekked about 10 hours in the last few days)after elephant riding we wight water rafted down some river and then got on bamboo rafts and rafted some more. the next few days in chiang mai were uneventful. so we caught a plane to bankok and then a train (3rd class) to whatever town were in now. but i praddle on,
i post again soon, probably
p.s jesse, if your reading this "delta force: blackhawk down" is in stores



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



1st August 2005

come home
Monique come home you will need a week to recooperate. Change your flight. Or else stay in a resort and do not move. MOM
2nd August 2005

nice DF:BHD !
im going to buy it 2morrow oh and the hiking stuff sounds pretty cool too. btw conrad i got the battlefield 2 modern combat demo for xbox, its awesome.
2nd August 2005

Insanity in the family?
I read the first blog with feining interest, you know, as a family courtesy. I smiled, frowned and generally went into shock as I read the second. Poor Lucy. She must have needed help up off the floor. Her advice sounds excellent. Ps There are some really nasty treks in Aussie. Why not come here and try to kill yourself?

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb