Bridge over the River Kwai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
December 24th 2017
Published: December 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

booked a tour to the death railway as it is called here. The tour picked us up at our hotel in Bangkok along with 8 additional people from there hotels. A couple hours later we were taken to the war memorial in Kanchanaburi to view prisoner barracks and the history of the construction of the railroad from Thailand to Burma. Marie an I took the tour long tail boat up the river to the railroad bridge. There we all boarded a train to the end of the line near the Miramar border. Had a nice lunch and were dropped off at our 5 star Dheva Mantra Hotel back in Kanchanaburi. The movie bridge is misleading as there were 2 bridges side by side. both were bombed a couple times and rebuilt by the Japanese with prisoner labor. All toll about 16,000 British Australian and Dutch troops died of malaria malnutrition and tiger attacks. Along with over 100,000 Asian workers. Cemetery’s are everywhere.

4 days in the wonderful hotel. Plus shopping and driving around in a Honda rental car. We are ready to start the next leg to Hau Hin on the coast.

Big shout out to Kala who somehow managed to get our bags returned from Canada to Medford.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb