Worthless little island...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
February 7th 2011
Published: October 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was worthless. We woke up around 8:30 and went to go rent a bike only to find there were none left. So we rented masks and snorkels and went for breakfast at the only place there is. After this we headed out to sea to find a place to snorkel and ended up walking down the length of our beach and then through the water to another hidden one.

Before getting to the second beach we stopped and put our shoes and bag on top of some rocks and when we got back they were all over the place! After picking up all of our stuff we headed to the beach and found piles and piles of trash! There were sandals, cages, buoys, glass bottles, etc...you name it and it was there. We tried to get back to the main road but sort of got lost in the woods and just headed back. The water had risen so it took us a bit longer to get back to our beach but once we did we noticed that it too was covered in trash! We couldn't believe it. In a national park you'd think they would keep it pristine, but it's only clean where the people are. South of where all the tents are is where the trash begins. It's such a pity and sort of ridiculous because there are signs that tell you to throw away your trash in the trash cans and to leave only your footprint behind.

When we got back from snorkeling on our beach we found that the monkeys had stolen our cookies and peanuts! They left the peanut bag and we found the cookie box a little ways down the road.

We don't know what else this island has to offer in the southern parts, but we've decided to head out tomorrow. There's only one restaurant and a tiny little market and it's all a bit expensive so we're off to Malaysia tomorrow!

Technical Details for Tarutao National Park
-Boat to the mainland: 350 baht
-bus to Penang: 600
-Mask and snorkel: 50 baht
-Kayak rental: 100 per hour or 500 per day

Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb