Koh Samui & Koh Phangan


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
January 8th 2009
Published: February 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Been a while since I've had time to convert any of my scribblings into a blog entry...and it gets more difficult the longer I leave it. The sun seems to be frazzing any short term memories I have so I'm just left with my notes...here goes:

Finally arrived at Koh Samui, our first taste of the Thai islands. After another 13 hour overnight train, an hour and a half bus journey (complete with some Thai gobshite trying to sell us minibus rides), an hour and a half ferry to the island and then an hour in the back of a truck to get to the resort, I was feeling a bit out of it. Bear in mind that I was still getting over my hangover and hadn't eaten in about 18 hours...it's too late for your sympathy though, I'm much better now!

After the complete mission to get there our resort was well nice. Looks way posher than the money we paid for the rooms. The only downside being that somewhere between me booking the room and the resort receiving the request, they'd given us a double bed (well, it was more like one of those super king size things, but the end result was the same, me and Gary in the same bed...the lucky boy!). The resort was right on the beach and our bungalow was probably about 20 steps from the white sands. On the beach front was a little bar/restaurant thing so we sat down and had a quick snack soaking in the surroundings. The beach was quite small, relatively quiet and framed by mountains. More impressive scenery was still to come, but at the time, it felt like paradise. I was starting to feel human again.

That night we had a quick walk round the local town (Lamai) and it was a bit naff really. Felt like being in Majorca or somewhere equally 'Brits Abroad' but with more massage parlours! Ate at this italian restaurant and for about a fiver we had some of the best pizza and pasta we've had. Better than I've had back home, with the exception of my Mums and Grandmas (obviously!). Ended the night back in our room playing shithead. We certainly know how to tear it up!

The next day Gary hired a jeep and went off exploring while I explored the pages of my book whilst lying on the almost deserted beach. There was a beach party happening that night which we thought would be a laugh, but the evenings on the beach were pretty windy and the party turned out to be held at one of the resorts and had been moved inside. We went and had a drink and watched some awful Thai covers band murder a few songs that weren't even all that great to begin with. The only food there was a fifteen quid buffet so we headed back to our resorts bar, which was shut. Meh. Can't remember what we did for food that night in the end...probably peanuts, which have been a permanent fixture in our rucksacks in case we can't find anywhere that we trust to eat out here!

Had a bit of an explore of the island before we checked out the next day. Saw a pathetic waterfall. Saw some elephants being ridden around by gormless looking westerners. Bit sad seeing these wild animals with huge saddles strapped to them. Looked like one of the straps went right up their arses too...poor buggers! Had a quick walk on a deserted beach (you'd be surprised at how common deserted beaches have become on our trip after spending a few weeks in Oz....back to Thailand though) and then checked out.

Our taxi to the port (taxi = truck with a 2 benches fitted in the back) was full of people so was a bit of a mission getting in there and trying not to fall out the back. There were some young lads in the back who were showing us all their moped injuries and saying how they'd seen loads of pools of blood at the sides of the road where people had come off. Didn't really increase my desire to hire a moped...not on these dodgy roads anyway. Got on the ferry after an hour wait at the port. After about 20 minutes they turned around, turns out they'd left 30 people at the port. Knobheads. I don't think Thailand has a word for organisation. Set off again and the trip was well choppy. There were more than a few times where I thought the boat was going to tip on its side. We were sat on the top too. I swear it took about a week for my knuckles to regain their proper colour!

Arrived on Koh Phangan and after a lot more faffing about with "taxis" we got to our resort. It was about an hours taxi ride away from where the full moon party would be so it was really quiet but the roads to get there were some of the most ridiculous dirt tracks. I think it cost us 2 quid each for the trip but I reckon you'd be troubled to find a cabbie anywhere in the UK willing to take this fare! The resort was similar to the one on Samui but more secluded, better run and the rooms (we had 1 each this time) were a bit more fancy and newer. It was pretty overcast and windy when we got there so explored the place a bit, which took all of about 2 minutes. It's literally a little dirt road with a few shops and a few resorts on it. Finished off with a bit of a walk on the beach. Best beach yet and some of the resorts at night look so good with tons of lights hung in the palm trees.

Got up early the next morning to go for a run with Gary. Not playing football for a few weeks has taken its toll (and I should probably blame the food/climate/hangovers too). Before I'd reached the other end, I felt the familiar burning in my chest and walk/jogged the rest of it. Saw a crab get washed out to sea and then went back to bed for a few hours.

Went in search of the local waterfall. Was slightly better than the one on Samui, but it was hardly a waterfall, more of a slightly downward angled stream. Still, we saw 2 guys fall off their moped on our way back, so it was all worth it. Spent the afternoon reading on the beach until 2 local dogs decided to include me in their playfight and sent me sprawling in the sand. Lost my page too...bastards!

So, Full Moon Party...well, I'll be honest, it was a bit shit. It was nowhere near as busy as I thought it would be, the weather was a bit windy and the music was distinctly average. It sounds cool, a big party on the beach, but in reality, it was a bit of a letdown. Wasn't really drunk though, so maybe that's the key to enjoying a full moon party. The 1 thing that might have saved the night was the drum n bass DJ, but he kept cocking up the mixes and the MC was a tosser. Maybe if we'd have been at the New Years Eve one, it would have been a different story.

So that's about it for the east coast islands. Weather's not been great, but the resorts have been well nice and it's definitely been an experience, which is the whole idea. Our trip to the west coast was all booked up. We were both hoping for some decent weather to come along and to see some more awesome scenery...we wouldn't be disappointed!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb