Day 8 – Cultural differences


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
March 27th 2012
Published: March 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today has been a repeat of yesterday – with a few add-ons.

Enjoying the pool, reading books, and watching a tropical rainstorm from the hotel room were all repeats.
The add-ons were shopping, a trip to a small temple, and a very long walk back to the hotel.

This time around, we decided to split into groups for shopping. Kasper and Kaja, Mom and Kia, Katja and me. Dad stayed at the hotel to read and relax. Kasper and Kaja went to the shopping center and had an ice cream at the beach, Mom and Kia went to get another massage (Kia ended up getting her feet “eaten” by doctor fish instead), and Katja and I went shopping.

Afterwards, the whole family went to the Patong temple. It was a weird combination of a colorful Asian temple and a construction site. And we were shown around by the weirdest and creepiest local we’ve run into. He was at least 60 and tried hitting on Katja, and he wanted to take pictures of us in front of every corner of the temple.

We walked back from the temple, which took us about an hour. And we’d just made it back to the hotel when it started pouring down, followed by thunder and lightning. Good timing!

So on to more interesting things! Cultural differences between Denmark and Thailand:

1. They don’t use toilet paper. You have to use a bidet, which was pretty boundary-breaking when we first got here. And sometimes I still put toilet paper in the toilet even if it’s not allowed. Oops.

2. They drive in the “wrong” side of the road and it’s really confusing when crossing streets and trying not to get run over. (And escalators are also opposite of what I’m used to).

3. Thai street vendors are extremely direct. They will call you endearing nicknames, speak your language, and some even pull at you to get you to enter their shop. Still freaks me out a little when guys yell ‘sexy’ at me and ask me in Danish how I am.

4. You can bargain A LOT! Today I was buying some swim wear, and the woman wanted 650 baht for it. I told her 200. Then she said 475, but I still said 200. Then she went down to 300, and at last we agreed on 250.

5. There are a lot of cats and dogs running wild. Not because they’re strays but because that’s just what animals do.

6. Spicy food! Not that common in Denmark, but very common here. And I am such a sissy with spicy food, but I am trying my best.

7. Not a lot of eye contact. It’s not that noticeable in the touristy areas, but in the airport and in the countryside, people look down.

8. They use different words depending on gender. “Kap kun ka” for women and “kap kun khap” for men if you want to say “thank you”. So what do ladyboys say? “Kap kun ha” of course (at least that's what our guide told us).

9. No knives. Usually you are presented with a fork and a spoon, which also work fine with most Thai dishes containing either rice or noodle.

10. Street vendors, when you pay them, tap the bills against the clothes for good luck. Looks really funny!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb