Phuket


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
May 7th 2010
Published: June 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We headed to the domestic airport and caught our flight down to Phuket. We were excited to get out of Bangkok. Jobbi suggested we stay in Patong Beach where most things were happening. She lives in Phuket town. Well I can honestly say Patong Beach is a bit much for most people. We got dropped off at our guesthouse and got settled in to our room which was a nice hotel room with a shared bathroom and one big king size bed.

Pictures

We walked down the main street, which is just full of little shops and bars, to the beach. The sun was just setting so we took a few pictures. It was a very very nice beach. We saw a mexican restaurant overlooking the beach so we headed there for some margharias because it’s just as hot down here!

The next day we headed to the air conditioned mall looking for new flip flops for me. We didn’t find what I wanted so we headed around the markets where you can buy anything and everything (looks real but not quite). I bought a pair of fake havajanas. We found a few other things worth buying not that it cost us that much. My flip flops were $8 and I bought a pretty dress for about $6. All prices can be negotiated here and all you have to do is start to walk away and the price drops even more.

Our accomodation is also cheap. We usually spend about $8 or 9 each for a hotel room with air conditioning. Too bad it isn’t like this eveywhere!! Jobbi was flying in from Bangkok and her and Tony met up with us in town and took us up the coast to a sunset viewing place. However, everyone and their dog was there to also watch the sunset. It was crazy crowded but it was beautiful. There were some clouds but thats ok. Afterwards we were taken out for dinner.

We met up with more of their friends after and Michelle, Jobbi and I walked over to a nightclub. It was quite disturbing in there. There were a lot of young pretty thai women with much older white guys. Many of them were prostitutes. Being white females, Michelle and I didn’t even get looked at by any guys in there. It’s an interesting culture. Back outside on the main road you get constantly harassed and called at. Ping pong shows seem to be the thing to go to in Patong beach. While I’d prefer not to have to tell you what they are feel free to ask me if you can’t figure it out.

We were out quite late with Tony and Jobbi. Tony is a very friendly caring guy and paid for everything for us which was beyond nice of him. He also set up an elephant trek for us the next day. So the next day, Tony's friend Gud came and picked us up and drove us out to an elephant farm. A Mahout (elephant trainer) greeted us on an elephant and we climbed up a wooden tower so it was easier for us to get on the elephant. A seat is attached to the elephants back. Michelle and I climbed on and enjoyed the ride.

Elephants are much more hairer then I expected them to be. Their skin feels really cool too. We went through a bit of a jungle area and then up the road a bit. Another elephant was coming down the hill and he had some big tusks. Going down the hill was a bit more scarier because nothing is holding you in to the seat and being sweaty I kept slipping.

After we got back we got to feed the elephant some bananas. That was really cool. Skinds and all they take them into their mouths. He licked my hand a couple of times to get the banana which was gross haha. If you have a chance definitely spend some time with elephants!!!!

Gud drove us back into Patong where we got showered and cleaned up and then he drove us over to Phuket town to meet up with Jobbi and Tony for dinner. Phuket town is not very touristy at all as it’s the city where most Thai people live in Phuket so it was much quieter and way more relaxed!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb