What a Fab Christmas!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
December 27th 2005
Published: December 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Chalong Bay was our next destination. We had mixed feelings about going there because from looking at the map it seemed quite far from everything, its only a small fishing village.
We got to the hostel and it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere - no bars, no restaurant, no swimming beach. To get anywhere you needed to rent a bike (which I wasnt over keen on because of the way they drive out here, the last thing we need is to get in an accident!) Our first impressions where - nice place but what do we do!?! and we were a bit disappointed coz we would be here from Christmas.

We ventured out to Chalong Bay - 30 min walk. It was really nice there as you can see from the photos but this was all there was to see! So we thought we would book a trip to the Phi Phi Islands for Christmas day. The Phi Phi Islands were beautiful, it was where the film The Beach' was filmed. (I will detail this more in the next blog) We got back from the trip to find the hostel were cooking a Xmas BBQ for all us Backpackers. There were lots of people there and after a few beers everyone was talking and getting on real well. We met people from Australia, America, Germany and of course some English lads from Leeds. It was their great idea to start playing a drinking game to get the party going. As always I try to keep up with the lads drinking but I kept losing the game so had to down loads of beer and this beer isnt your normal Fosters or Carling, its strong Thai beer which is 6.4%! Far too strong but its the cheapest. I felt fine but as soon as I stood up I felt mashed so had to go bed - this was at 10.30pm on Christmas Day! What a light weight!

Phil stayed up and almost witnessed a fight - guess who with!? Yeah, the English guys! I think it was quite an eventful evening by the sounds of it!

Boxing day we went back to Patong for the day with the 4 English guys we met. We were all feeling rough but they had to go out on the lash coz it was tradition! We had a really good day and some really goods laughs.
The only sad thing about Boxing Day was the fact the Tsunami happened this time last year. We looked at photos and they are quite disturbing to see. People we lighting candles on the beach and there was a rememberable service. The American guy we met - JJ, showed us around and we saw some lovely sculptures on the beach and other interesting things in memory of all the people that died. Its such a shame that this happened to such lovely people and to such a poor country.

Although at first we were disappointed to be here in Chalong, it actually worked out better for us and now we are so glad we did come - What a fab Christmas we had, definitely one to remember!
This the first place we've been where you actually feel like you're travelling and not just having a long summer holiday as such. This traveling experience isnt about going to the beach everyday, following the same routine. Its about traveling the world and making the most of it while we are here.
We've met some really interesting people and also some very strange people! We've heard lots of stories and its good hearing other peoples plans and experiences.

We are on a big high at the moment and really enjoying this whole experience. This is what traveling is all about!.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Phil on mopedPhil on moped
Phil on moped

We rented out a bike for an hour so Phil could go down to the town for a nice English Breakfast! (his xmas treat!)
Xmas BBQXmas BBQ
Xmas BBQ

This was our Christmas BBQ at the Hostel. Phil was disappointed when he saw no burgers or sausages, only sea food!!
Boxing Day DrinkBoxing Day Drink
Boxing Day Drink

Us and the other English guys bumped into the other people from the hostel in Patong and here they all are!
TsunamiTsunami
Tsunami

People were writing comments and their thoughts in these books along the beach.
Tsunami SculptureTsunami Sculpture
Tsunami Sculpture

This is a sculpture on the beach represented all the people that died.
Worshipping TempleWorshipping Temple
Worshipping Temple

Thai's bring gifts here for the Budda
Boxing Day - EveningBoxing Day - Evening
Boxing Day - Evening

Out on the piss with the English Guys.
Boxing Day - EveningBoxing Day - Evening
Boxing Day - Evening

All the lads in their Xmas hats!


30th December 2005

Carly what are you like!
Really enjoying the blog,it is as close as we can be to being their with you both.!! The photo of you on boxing day with the lads really made me laugh,with you and Phil smiling and the lads really out of it behind you, some things never change.!! Missing you both, love Mum and Dad xxxxxxxx
1st January 2006

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Thankyou for the journals,so great to see 4 me,1992 was a lifetime ago. take care you two. love Elliot and Jaquiexxx
3rd January 2006

Looks like a good party!!
It certainly looked like you were in full swing of the party....nice hat phil, I had to look twice at the picture, the guy with the blue shirt on looked like Smithy [AKA Smudge] at 1st glance surley there can't be two of him!! I can't believe you let the side down Carly, having to go to bed early after a drinking session!! You need to get more practice in girl!! Love and miss you both Mother xx

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb