A Railay great place


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Krabi
May 13th 2006
Published: June 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Railay is a little peninsula on the Andaman Coast that is really popular with rock climbers. Once we arrived, it wasn’t hard to see why. The rock formations on the island are just CRAZY. Thousands of jagged stalactites hanging from the caves, right down onto the beach. Unlike anything we had see before.

The peninsula is small enough that you can walk from one end to the other. Divided into the East and West side, the West side (Hat Rai Leh West) has nicer accommodation and a better beach - although there were so many jelly fish washed up on the beach and the tides so low, that most people seemed to swim in the resort pools. They were much more refreshing.

The East side runs to mangroves and is horribly filthy in most parts. Rubbish everywhere. So sad. The mangrove forest is filled with bottles, cans, boxes… disgusting but that’s where you need to go for the good (and CHEAP) eating places. Although neither of us could work up the courage to eat the fish that was on display. Don’t know what put us off - maybe it had something to do with the HUNDREDS OF FLIES CRAWLING
Phra Nang BeachPhra Nang BeachPhra Nang Beach

Crazy rock formations hang down onto the beach. Railay
ALL OVER IT…

Anyway, Railay is a great place to spend a couple of days. After reading in the Lonely Planet about the Holy Princess Pool - a hidden lagoon in the middle of a cliff, we were intrigued enough to find the start of the track. After searching for the sign for ages, we had to pay a little boy 20 baht before he would show us where it starts. The track is not as bad is described in Lonely Planet guide but really don’t do it in jandals (flip flops) as it doesn't make the climb any easier. We made it to the top of the drop-down and didn’t attempt to go any further. Risk of serious injury in Thailand wasn’t that appealing. The views up the top are good if you can find your way to a view-point.

We had fun watching the rock climbers doing their thing and viewing the exotic looking, white-faced monkeys hanging out in the forest in the middle of the island. The thunder echoed around the mountains and gave everything really surreal feeling.

We had been warned that the rains would start on the 15th of May. In the days leading up to the 15th, we could feel the heat and thunder building up. Each night after watching the sunset we were treated to a fantastic lightning storm over the ocean. Sure enough, on the afternoon of the 15th, the sky changed to a dark colour over the water and started tracking towards land. In the afternoon, the rains hit with a wicked thunder storm. For about 10 minutes it actually managed to cool the air temperature a little. Soon after it was back into the 30’s!

Diamond cave is worth a visit to check out the crystal waterfall, and you also get to say hello to the hundreds of bats chittering away on the roof of the cave. There is also a massive troop of monkeys near the ultra expensive Rayavadee resort. They provide hours of entertainment - although their teeth looked dangerous.

Phra Nang beach is said to be one of the most beautiful beach settings in the world. I'm not sure if I'd go so far (it's a pretty big claim after all!) but it is certainaly dramatic. The crazy rocks hanging right down to the white sand and green waters are amazing.
Sunset Sunset Sunset

at Railay West. This was the fantastic view from the swimming pool.

At Phra Nang you can see the numerous penis shrines, left as offerings to the Phra Nang (Holy Princess). Hundreds of phalic objects proudly sticking up out of the sand.

Would have been rude to giggle...

But hard not to...



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Rock formationsRock formations
Rock formations

at Railay Bay. Great for kayaking around.
East and WestEast and West
East and West

Looking down on Railay East and West
Crystal quartz waterfallCrystal quartz waterfall
Crystal quartz waterfall

Inside Diamond Cave. Not bad for 20 baht.
Monkeying aroundMonkeying around
Monkeying around

Monkeys hanging out at Phra Nang Peninsula
Hanging outHanging out
Hanging out

under the rocks at Railay
Things are looking upThings are looking up
Things are looking up

Inside the Diamond Cave


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb