Koh Tao, the history of


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
September 6th 2013
Published: September 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Koh Tao is situated in Surat Thani province, and the name in English means "Turtle Island". The island used to be inhabited by turtles and a few are still seen today.

Prior to 1943 Koh Tao was uninhabited, at this time the only people who visited were the local fishermen. From 1943 to 1944 the island was used as a political prison. There were fifty four inmates and fifteen wardens. According to the prisoners the island was a living hell, with shark infested waters, malaria and lack of food.

It was 1947 when twin brothers Ta Euam and Ta Oh came to the island from Koh Samui. They sailed here on traditional boats and eventually brought their families here to live. They lived simply fishing and cultivating land for coconut plantations. At that time there were so many turtles that the beach became black.

Koh Tao is fairly remote being 47kms north of the nearest island Koh Phangan and 72kms from Koh Samui. The island itself is 3.4kms across and 7.6kms long. The coastline is predominantly steep and the shoreline rocky with small sandy bays.

The weather here is fairly settled at around 33degrees except for the monsoon season which can be anytime between September and January. During the monsoon, heavy rain, strong winds and and waves are normal, but this can vary each year.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb