Exploring Turtle Island and Ko Naang Yuan


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
June 18th 2010
Published: June 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Here's EdHere's EdHere's Ed

The premier longtail boatman of the Earth
In search of the perfect longtail boat driver...that's how we found Ed. Once we decided when we wanted to start (early as possible) and where we wanted to stop, we came back to his office which is a blue hammock tied to a coffee shop right on the beach, in sight of his longboat. Ed is one of those amazing Bob Marley incarnations that we are fortunate enough to find now and again. Always a fun time sharing the planet with those guys.

As agreed, the next morning at 7a.m., we found him bailing out his boat and tidying up. To provide the shade he had promised, he simply borrowed a canopy from the boat next to his who was not using it at the time. Very neighborly. And just like that, long before the heat of the day or other tourists, we were off on another unforgettable adventure.

In addition to exploring the shores of Koh Tao, we also had our heart set on seeing the three immensely scenic islands known collectively as Ko Naang Yuan, which are three islands connected by sandbars. They are surrounded by coral reef and have some of the absolute best diving in
Overview of Ko Nang YuanOverview of Ko Nang YuanOverview of Ko Nang Yuan

Taken from atop one of the three islands
the entire world, so it's said. The Thais have made it a national park.

We made the first stop after about twenty minutes at a very secluded cove, Aow Leuk, that someone had given us a tip about. Ed joined us and kept an eye on us, showing underwater by sign language how NOT to put your foot in the GIANT CLAM, as it would close on your toes.

Dane and I had purchased some well fitting snorkeling equipment that suited us perfectly and I didn't have to wonder about someone else's spit in the mask or a leaking snorkel (like the one that ruined a dive for me when we were in Phi Phi in 2008). My mask is clear all the way around which helps with that claustrophobic feeling somewhat. There were fins available for us, but we really didn't need them.

It was the most enjoyable time I've ever had snorkeling, with Dane holding my hand underwater and showing me stuff. There were huge "forests" of shocking white, snowflake like trees of coral beds. Every once in a while we would see one that was florescent green or pink or purple. Underwater is sensory
Songsem Pier in the wee hoursSongsem Pier in the wee hoursSongsem Pier in the wee hours

We went of in search of adventure before anyone else was even up.
overload, and just "another world" in itself. Easy to see why people are willing to tote huge bags of scuba equipment around just so they can do the deep underwater diving.

By the time we had gotten all the way around Koh Tao, having made stops at different bays along the way, the tourist diving boats had arrived at Ko Naang Yuan.

Noticing a rickety boardwalk built around the largest island of the three, we decided to walk it, since there was absolutely no one heading in that direction. The boardwalk had funny handrails made out of twigs, and many missing planks which you could somehow walk over without looking down after a while.

The Thais assume you will have common sense and NOT fall onto the rocks and razor sharp coral below. It is only about a twenty foot drop anyway, not too bad. The fish and coral were clearly visible through the jewel-like water, like a liquid aquamarine. There were glorious shades of blue all the way out to the horizon, a day I will never forget as long as I live.

Checking out the next day was really hard to do. Leaving the
Boats near the pierBoats near the pierBoats near the pier

Just a few minutes walk from our hut, we went down to meet our Longtail Boatman.
hut, leaving the beach dogs, leaving Paradise; it was sad to think about maybe never coming back again.

We hung around town and waited for the last Lompraya to take us to Koh Samui. As we were waiting on the dock, who showed up to say goodbye to us but Ed! I was shocked, as he really did not speak much English, so he must have just known the ferry schedule. He asked us, "When come back?" And we told him, "Long time."

I left a piece of my heart on Koh Tao forever.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Aow Leuk BayAow Leuk Bay
Aow Leuk Bay

Too early for anyone else to be up, we had this secluded cove all to ourselves.
Dane likes boats of any kindDane likes boats of any kind
Dane likes boats of any kind

We really learned how to live in the moment here, this day.
Around the Chalok Baan Kao BayAround the Chalok Baan Kao Bay
Around the Chalok Baan Kao Bay

We started out going south around Koh Tao.
Dane snorkelingDane snorkeling
Dane snorkeling

See that black dot just left of center? That's my hubby!
Fish so numerousFish so numerous
Fish so numerous

You can see them just by looking in the water, but it's so much fun to snorkel, especially in warm water!
A walk to rememberA walk to remember
A walk to remember

I am pretty sure this boardwalk is not OSHA approved.
Handmade boardwalkHandmade boardwalk
Handmade boardwalk

I would not have missed this for the WORLD! Amazing views.
A walk aroung the islandA walk aroung the island
A walk aroung the island

We took a rickety boardwalk attached to the rock "almost" all the way around.
End of BoardwalkEnd of Boardwalk
End of Boardwalk

So we just crawled like crabs over the rocks, back to the main beach!
Back to the boatBack to the boat
Back to the boat

It was time to go after we had walked around the largest island
Leaving Ko Naang YuanLeaving Ko Naang Yuan
Leaving Ko Naang Yuan

We loved every moment. We are LIVING our dream.
Our Paradise HotelOur Paradise Hotel
Our Paradise Hotel

A view from the boat.
Tired beach dogTired beach dog
Tired beach dog

Our last night together...he was under our table at the restaurant next door.
Celebrating a great dayCelebrating a great day
Celebrating a great day

Truly another day in Paradise, satisfied and fulfilled in every possible way.
One more magnificent sunsetOne more magnificent sunset
One more magnificent sunset

How can I leave this place?
Check out timeCheck out time
Check out time

Waiting til the last minute to leave. They let me purchase the sarong that came with the room.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb