hi from koh tao


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
November 11th 2007
Published: November 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi gang,

Greg and I have found paradise after all. We had to be patient through 3 days of downpour, but the sun finally broke through.

We' ve moved from Chumpon, on the mainland, to the small Island of Koh Toa. We spent our first two nights at the Coral View Resort, which can only be reached by a 20 minute harrowing truck ride up a steep washed out road that looks suspicously like a creek bed. The day we decided to check out, the resort actually closed. Maybe it was because they needed to do some serious road repair. Or, maybe it was because most guests, ourselves included, thought that getting away from an isolated resort would give us more choices for things to do when the weather was so poor.

We've spent the last couple of days in the town of Mae Haad and it's been a lot of fun. Now that the sun has come out, Greg and I are both boasting sunburns and are slathering on the aloe vera. Yesterday was probably the best day yet. We went on an all-day snorkelling tour and visted about 5 different sites including Shark Bay. Fortunately or unfortunately (whatever you prefer) we didn't actually see any sharks. The fish diversity though was amazing. We even saw a trigger fish which is known to pester snorkellers who get too close to their egg nests.

ok. Greg here...just had to push Shannon away from the keyboard. The fish diversity was amazing, Just kidding. i'm gonna go back in time and tell you about the worst part of the trip. The Catamaran Boat ride from Chumphon to Koh Toa. We took off at 7 in the morning and the sea was very choppy and it was pouring rain. Big waves. We get on the boat and its bobbing up and down and people are looking sickly before we even left for the 2 hour ride. We finally take off and 10 minutes into the trip, with everybody already feeling queasy, the power shuts off in the boat. lights off. Blackness. The boat has stopped. Just Bobbing. The air conditioning is off. And there we are bobbing in the middle of the ocean (is the Gulf of Thailand an Ocean, Shannon?) Anyways, after a few panicked moments and some pretty unhappy looking tourists glaring at the boat staff, the ship turns around (Safety first here in Thailand!!). Apparently, we're going back to the pier. No announcement, no nothing. Anyways, eventually, they get the generator fixed and we are off again. About 15 minutes into trip #2 both Shannon and I have to get out of our seats and head onto the boat deck because we feel nauseated. Just like everyone else in the world. I swear that half of the people on that boat puked (I personally watched 15 right off the back, while Shannon hid out on the top deck trying to re-enact the scene from Titanic with some German guy named Klaus). Luckily, Shannon brought Gravol and we took them before the trip. Somehow, we never yakked...but it was close a few times. That story was really long.

Everything else is ducky.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



11th November 2007

I am so glad you are writing this blog...because after a month...you'll forget all these things...and the rickity boat story is a keeper. This is why I only travel to Vegas and all inclusives.....
13th November 2007

Beauty Clark
Hey guys!! Looks like an amazing place, i'm glad to hear you're having a great time. I'm sure the foods outstanding for the most part, nothings better than Thai. Take care,
15th November 2007

Fish Diversity
This blog thing is the best. Laughing so hard I'm crying. ShanDog you got to catch some of those diverse fish and fry them in butter. Shannon likes fish, Greg likes puke. Pretty jealous right now.
16th November 2007

awesome
looks and sounds awesome. shannon, more stories on fish, although the one on the boat trip was funny!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb