Settling in ...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
June 15th 2013
Published: June 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Well we are starting to feel like we are finding our way a little in this new area that we have never been to before. Hiring a car has given us great freedom to explore and find things that are off the main roads and not otherwise easily accessible.

Yesterday afternoon we set off on our first real adventure and the boys got to see a couple of Thai Temples that are well known on Koh Samui. A couple of photos are attached. They were quite interested surprisingly ... especially at the Golden Budda where they were blessed with holy water that was sprinkled over them by a Monk. Blake is still talking about it today and he wants to "go and visit the Monk again." Funny!

We found a pancake cart and wanted to try them as they are apparently very yummy! Our order was for Banana Chocolate Pancakes and we watched them being made in front of us. For about $1.50 we got a plate full to share and they were delicious!

In the same area we stumbled upon a "fish spa" and the boys were super keen to put their feet into a tank of water filled with garra rufa fish. Apparently this is a natural treatment used for cosmetic peeling over here??? The little fish gently suck dead skin away and you feel a tickling sensation. Scott and I decided to give it a miss ... but the boys couldn't wait to get their feet in!! There were lots of giggles and screams (yes all of the boys in response to the sensation) and then we could not get them away. In fact they have asked if we can go again this afternoon - that's how much they enjoyed it.

We did finally drag them away and by this time it was after 5pm and we had not yet made it to the Fisherman's Village for the Friday night festival. We drove towards that area ... but made a late call to abort mission because the boys were getting ratty and we could not contemplate taking them to a really busy area right then.

Instead we headed west along the north coast back towards our Resort (Infinity Residences) and stopped off at a lovely beach called Mae Nam. We took two dead end roads (dirt tracks is perhaps a better description) and then found our way with the third attempt to the beach area. It was SO LOVELY!!! The sun was just setting as we walked along the beach and found a lovely spot to eat where the boys could play in the sand right next to us. Blake and Dylan were thrilled to learn that they could order spagetti bolognaise and chicken nuggets at this place ... they have a limited appetite for Thai food still ... but are trying some things now. Anyway we enjoyed cocktails and dinner as the boys played in the sand and the sun set accross the sea ... and spent less than AUD$30 in total for the experience. That is what I call bliss!!!!! The area was so secluded that there were only 3 other tables of people eating around us. We will be going back to this area for sure as we all loved it so much.

We raced home so the boys could get to bed ... but not before they all took a bath in their own private bathrooms. I don't think I've added that to the blog yet. Each room has its own ensuite with bath and shower options so the kids are in heaven! Only Blake and Dylan have to share bathtubs here ... very spoilt.

I had a massage booked last night ... another inclusion in our package at the resort. I was treated to the best massage ever ... thai style with elbows and all. It was AMAZING!!! I returned to the room very relaxed. I'm looking forward to more of those (one more for me included in our package). Scott is off to have his first massage tonight ... lucky him!

This morning we decided to explore the west and south-west areas of Koh Samui and found that there is really not alot to do in this area. We stopped at a snake farm and all held the python (yuk!) and watched a cobra and scorpion show. The snake farm was dodgy as ever ... and the guy who performed the show was a nutter! He had lost a few fingers where he had been bitten by snakes and he happily showed off all of his scars from snake bites - all over his body and even on the top of his head. The boys were freaked out by him ... so were Scott and I. He played with snakes like they were rubber toys - crazy!

We are going to have a lazy afternoon ... heading down to the beach so the boys can swim and play in the sand again. We are going to search for another hidden beach bar so Scott and I can enjoy a beer and cocktail and watch the afternoon slip away. That's what I call relaxation!!!!!

Tomorrow we are heading out for the day to Angthong National Marine Park. It is a 1 hours trip by speedboat and then we spend the day snorkelling and sea kayaking around the protected marine area. Will post another update some time after then.

By the way ... we have not been successful in getting a phone to work whilst we are here. Apparently all our phones are locked - bugger! We can still be contacted by normal email if needed. Lovely to get some messages from some of you via this post. Hope everyone is well at home xxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



15th June 2013

White House
Hello Jennisons. Loving the updates. Looks like lots of fun. Pete said to say Yamba is amazing.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb