Songkran festival on Samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
April 13th 2012
Published: April 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We were told "the place to be" for songkran festival was Chiang Mai, and Samui has a smaller, lamer version of the water festival..the Thai new year, but I'm not sure how it could get much bigger than Chewang beach's festival! It took almost an hour to get into town today because of the holiday, and every 10 feet there is a crowd with a hose and a water barrel, water guns and basins soaking every passing motorcycle, car and pedestrian! When we got into the main street of Chewang beach it was mayhem! We were soaked to the skin in moments, quickly armed ourselves with water guns and joined the fray. Some sneaky buggers put ice in their barrels so the soaking was also freezing....for a few seconds....in 35C heat it's no hardship! In addition, it is some kind of tradition to paint peoples' faces with this white paste, as a good luck thing so we are drenched to the skin and have weird white blotches all over. The kids had a blast! (and so did I to tell the truth)

We then found a loud and fun beach bar for burgers and drinks to toast Abby's 10th birthday, and play a while in the surf.

Happy Thai new year!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb