It's okay.. but we wouldn't rush back...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
May 25th 2006
Published: June 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

ButterflyButterflyButterfly

Okay, we cheated... this photo was not taken in the butterfly house. This kinda mangy one was sitting near a waterfall. Have you ever tried to take photos of a butterfly?! Bit of a mission!
Koh Sumui was a short stop-over for us before our flight back to Bangkok. Only spending two days on the island meant that we were only able to explore limited parts of the island.

Our first day was spent recovering from our last few days. The heat was getting to the point where it was becoming un-pleasent. On the first night we made our way into the main beach for some shopping. The shopping was great - lots of variety but everything we had already seen on our travels and more expensive too. The same 'made in Chang Mai' products are available here - complete with the promise 'made in Koh Sumui!'

On our second day we were off early on our hired scooters to explore the island. After visiting some 'okayish' waterfalls we made our way up to the highest point of the island. In the middle of nowhere, we found a fantastic little restaurant with amazing views. Ironically, we had one of our best meals up here in the bush! The little monkey inprisioned in a TINY cage by the waterfall was sad - why do tourists give money to these people? Also the guys who walk
FrangipaniFrangipaniFrangipani

Great colours in Thailand.
along the hot, bustling steets with exotic animals on their shoulders? Why give them money to have a photo taken, when it is just encouraging this sort of business?! grrr! Then again is the butterfly house cruel too?

After the disappointment of the butterfly house in Chang Mai, I was determined to fufil my flittering butterfly fantasy. After a little persuasion, we made our way to the butterfly garden. While it didn't quite meet expectations, we did get to check out the gardens and see some huge butterflys. One of the staff came into the enclosure at one point with a box of butterflies that had just hatched. Yay, lucky me, I was able to release them which did give a bit of a zen feeling, while I tried to decide if it was cruel or not!

The beaches were very disappointing - totally filthy in many places. No desire to get in and swim! Especially bad were the beaches near the popular 'Grandma and Grandpa' rocks which are two crazy rocks shaped like male and female genitals... hmmm

The main beach has been totally built out so you have to walk through big western resorts to
Leaving Ko TaoLeaving Ko TaoLeaving Ko Tao

Lovely calm seas on the way to Koh Sumui.
find it which is sad. Overall they were awful compared to many we had seen and Koh Sumui was so over touristed that it had little charm or soul. Very expensive and certainaly not the beautiful paradise shown in the brochures. I guess it won be too long before the other islands are similar.

There are some good looking resthaunts on Samui but very expensive compared to other islands and very, very westernised. In saying that, we did visit have some over-indulgence at Swensons ice cream cafe so we shouldn't really say too much!

After a few days we waved good bye to Koh Sumui and set off on our Bangkok airways flight to the U.A.E via Bangkok.






Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Days EndDays End
Days End

Good bye Thailand. See you in a few years perhaps!


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0811s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb