The Islands


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
August 11th 2008
Published: August 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We stopped off at Koh Pha-Ngan for a night - it is a nice island but more manic than Koh Tao! We could barely get off the boat for people bustling to us trying to get us to stay at a certain hotel or go in a particular taxi, so instead we hired a jeep!! Matt didn't need to show his driving license and the man told us nothing about the jeep, he just gave us the keys and was more interested in the money!! It was fun driving around the mountain roads until we came across a very steep hill on which the jeep came to a halt, we had to crawl up in first gear! Although we intended to find some kind of moon party instead we had a chilled out night!

The following day we drove back (Matt feeling very pleased with his jeep) to get the ferry to Koh Samui. We'd noticed the petrol gauge was nearly empty but as we knew nothing about the jeep decided to just hope for the best (after stopping at 2 so-called petrol stations - one was coin operated and looked like an ATM - the other was a barrel with a hose and an old lady who also offered laundry services sat next to it). Unfortunately just as we were in the middle of nowhere the jeep spluttered and stopped right next to an extremely angry cow, oops! Luckily the farmer who owned the angry cow happened to arrive on his scooter, he couldn't speak English but knew what we meant as we were pointing to the petrol cap! He disappeared into his shack and came back with a bottle of pink liquid which he sold to us! We put it in hoping it was really petrol, lucky for us it was and we just about made the boat in time!

We've spent the last few days at a beautiful island called Koh Samui. We stayed at Bophut Beach, a quiet and relaxing area. We did very little other than swimming, sitting on the beach and eating! It was a lovely place to be with lots of friendly people and more fantastic weather!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb